Thermostat Height...

cjay876

I need you guys' help. I was walking through home depot and I overheard one of the workers bragging to a customer about being a master electrican. His comment to a customer is that, according to the NEC, when mounting a thermostat it should be 5ft above floor level. At that point it dawned on me that I've never heard or seen an article that states this. Is there such an article? (I'm still searching)

I need you guys' help. I was walking through home depot and I overheard one of the workers bragging to a customer about being a master electrican. His comment to a customer is that, according to the NEC, when mounting a thermostat it should be 5ft above floor level. At that point it dawned on me that I've never heard or seen an article that states this. Is there such an article? (I'm still searching)

I don't think it is covered in the NEC.

ADA has specific requirements, so if it is in an ADA compliant building/structure I think that it can not be any higher than 48". I would have to look that up, but 48" sticks in my mind.

As for a home thermostat, I have never seen a printed requirement other than where they should not be placed. If it was too low it would be hard to read and it would also stay cooler. If it is too high it would be warmer. So I think most installers just split the difference between the floor and ceiling. In my home my thermostats are mounted at 60" from the floor. I have 12' ceilings, so mounting them at 72" would be a little on the high side.

I mounted mine @ 5' 'cuz that's what the instructions said.

I also recall some discussion of "comfort zones", where the t-stat should be located within.

Just a thought.......... if a "master electrician" is now an orange aproned aisle jockey, I would tend to question anything that they said.

These things can be changed for the customer's needs. For example in a housing complex designed for older people, the outlets can be mounted higher up so people will not need to bend down to reach them.

Or for housing designed for those in wheel chairs, things may be mounted lower down so they can reach them.

I'm tall and in my house I have the shower head mounted high! (Not at eye level...)

I mounted mine @ 5' 'cuz that's what the instructions said.

I also recall some discussion of "comfort zones", where the t-stat should be located within.

Just a thought.......... if a "master electrician" is now an orange aproned aisle jockey, I would tend to question anything that they said.

If a 'master electrician' is working at Home Depot, I think that says it all. I don't recall an exact height requirement either, but 5' seems reasonable.

When Honeywell's installation instructions specify a location (not all do) they call for mounting the thermostat "about 5 feet above the floor in an area with good air circulation average temperature", and where the thermostat's will not be affected by "draft or dead spots behind doors and corners, hot or cold air from ducks ducts radiant heat from the sun or appliances, concealed pipes and chimneys and unheated (uncooled) areas such as an outside wall behind the thermostat".

That's the closest thing to a "requirement" I've been able to find.

There's no such article. Nothing in the NEC specifies the height of a thermostat.

In today's economy, I wouldn't be surprised to hear that a master electrician is working in Home Depot.

Master electricians aren't any more immune to misinformation than home inspectors are.

- Jim Katen, Oregon