Yesterday I inspected a house that had a full bathroom in the garage. This bathroom contains a small electric water heater just for it (and the sink on the other side of the wall, still in the garage), a water softener for the entire house, and a well water tank and pump that feeds the water softener.

The well water pump and lines to and from have condensation dripping from them. And the room is not conditioned. This bathroom is rarely used and the door is kept closed.

Two of the walls are concrete, one of which is common to the lower level of the house. This common wall is filled with black spots, there is exposed framing that does not have any of these black spots. How do I know if this is mold?

Click to Enlarge
tn_20098101397_IMG_4475.jpg

44.13 KB

Oddly enough in the attic with the same common wall to the house, it is darkened. Again, neighboring materials are not affected.

And there are no signs of water intrusion in the attic.

Click to Enlarge
tn_200981013723_IMG_4468.jpg

60.73 KB

If the water lines are wrapped, will this eliminate the condensation on them?

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Or to some reading?

Thanks!

Sure insulating the lines would help, but you still have water in the toilet 24/7.. Really need some type of ventilation in that closed room.

Were the black spots "fuzzy" and look like they stood off of the wall a little bit? From the pictures, it looks like mold; but it is concrete correct?

Sure insulating the lines would help, but you still have water in the toilet 24/7.. Really need some type of ventilation in that closed room.

Were the black spots "fuzzy" and look like they stood off of the wall a little bit? From the pictures, it looks like mold; but it is concrete correct?

None of the black spots looked fuzzy nor raised. Yes, concrete walls in the bathroom.

None of the black spots looked fuzzy nor raised. Yes, concrete walls in the bathroom.

I have no idea what the spots could be. Hey, that might be a good sentence to use in your report! [;)]

"Can anyone point me in the right direction? Or to some reading? Thanks! Jeremy P."

Is it mold?

Jeremy, among other things, read this. It's entitled, "Mold Testing," but it's not about testing at all. It's about testing being a waste of time and money. http://www.buildingscience.com/document ... hterm=mold Also read the other mold related articles Building Science has.

If you have not already, read what the EPA and CDC says.

http://www.cdc.gov/mold/dampness_facts.htm

http://www.epa.gov/mold/moldguide.html

Yes, there is mold on the walls.

I currently report it as, "It looks like mold is on the ... Mold is caused by trapped moisture and I think the cause of this is ... ... I think ... ...should be done to correct this problem. Consult the EPA re: any mold clean up."

The mold scare still exists and consumers (and lawyers, REAs, almost everyone) still don't get it.

Looks like mildew stains from high moisture off the well tank. Mildew is mold. Was the well tank single wall or double.

Thank you for the info. I was thinking that it might be mildew.

I am not sure if the well wall is single or double. I'm assuming that it's single with the amount of condesate. The tank is at eye level so I did not look inside. By the sounds of it, I should have. I will definitely need to read up on well water and their tanks.

This was only my second inspection (first house). My first inspection was a condo. Once I'm finished with the report, I plan to post it for critique.

Good morning, Jeremy:

As far as the concrete wall goes, I really can’t tell from the photo. However, assuming that it was mould (which is highly unlikely), then it would be inconsequential.

Regarding your second photo – the photo is perfectly clear to demonstrate there is NO mould problem.

As far as “testingâ€

It might be some kind of form oil residue that's organic and is discoloring.

I'd have them clean the concrete wall with a diluted (1:20) muriatic acid/water solution, neutralize it with TSP, rinse it down with water and then I'd wait to see if the spots reappear.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike