Knob & Tube Electrodes?

caryseidner

Does anyone know what the heck this is? This is an 85 year old house, and the line was entering through an exterior wall, just above grade. I didn't know if it was safe to put my voltage sniffer on it, but I probably should have waved it close by to see if there was any voltage. What are the vertical copper electrodes all about?

Click to Enlarge
tn_2009917123255_1.jpg

55.42 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_200991712344_2.jpg

54.18 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2009917123417_3.jpg

36.58 KB

Well . . . but then what I am I looking at when I see something similar that has K & T connected to one end, and low voltage wiring run toward the front door connected at the other end?

I don't remember who it may have been, but someone, at some point, told me the gizmo was designed to step down voltage.

'Course, maybe he was wrong sometimes . . . . .

Well . . . but then what I am I looking at when I see something similar that has K & T connected to one end, and low voltage wiring run toward the front door connected at the other end?

No telling! Post a picture.

To change the voltage, you need a transformer. These are usually cube shaped things about 2 inches x 2 inches x 2 inches or larger.

Then in older homes, you have the "do-it-yourself" factor. Wiring may have been used for one thing at one time, then switched to another use at a later time. No telling what they may have done!

Modern doorbell transformer...

transformer_598.jpg

Old doorbell transformer...

S6300798.jpg

That's an old phone company "protector". The orange tube is a fuse that was intended to go open. If you spin off the black cover in the middle you'll find "carbons". These are two assemblies consisting of a carbon blocks in a ceramic holder. The carbon block provides a ground path in the event of a high voltage hit. Go ahead, open it up and take a look!

was a phone man in my pre college days.

Tom Corrigan

No telling! Post a picture.

To change the voltage, you need a transformer. These are usually cube shaped things about 2 inches x 2 inches x 2 inches or larger.

Then in older homes, you have the "do-it-yourself" factor. Wiring may have been used for one thing at one time, then switched to another use at a later time. No telling what they may have done!

Modern doorbell transformer...

transformer_598.jpg

Old doorbell transformer...

S6300798.jpg

I, of course, have no photos of the thing I'm talking about. That would be waaay too convenient. But next time I happen upon one, I'll definitely snap a shot.

Thing is, there's 120 volts connected to one end of the ceramic housing, and low voltage wiring connected to the other end.

...Thing is, there's 120 volts connected to one end of the ceramic housing, and low voltage wiring connected to the other end.

If all pro work, then probably a transformer.

BUT there is also the "do-it-yourself factor". I've seen all sorts of wire used in walls for regular house voltage (120V) wiring. You pull apart a wall and no telling what will be found!