Reporting software

Originally posted by homnspector

Do you guys think it is ethical / legal to sell old inspection software you no longer use, or old versions after you have upgraded? I have older versions that are perfectly usable that I have paid for but that I don't need.

When you "upgraded" to a new version did you pay for a complete product or did you pay a lesser upgrade price. If the latter, then I don't believe you really own the previous versions as a separate product you could sell.

I'll leave the "legality" to the lawyers but, while I think it may be "ethical" to sell old software, as long as you completely remove it from your computer, I have to wonder if there is much of a market for it? If I'm going to depend heavily on a program in my business, I'm going to buy the latest version from a source I know I can trust for support. Could I even register used software?

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know anything about a discount, but I do know that my insurance comany's underwriters (Allen Group) want a copy of a completed inspection report and contract, so if not a discount, perhaps they charge more for reports that they deem inferrior. That could be because of the report or the reporter.

Chris,

You are not alone. I too, use inspectvue and have had the same type of responces from Lorne......You need to update, your PDA is bad, your memory card is this, you did'nt do that, you were suppose to order a new disc, etc., etc., and I always cringe whenever their is an update for the software.

I too would like to see more customer support from lorne and his staff. I can appreciate the fact that he has a business to grow, well, we all have business's to grow and when the program goes bad, and I can't use my PDA I have to resort to hand writing notes and relying on the digital photo's which takes an unprecedented amount of time. Time that I usually do not have,do to commitments to the clients and the professionals that have referred my services.

Having said that, Lorne eventually gets to replying with helpful information as opposed to his default response of user error. If he and his staff would take the time to streamline the software to different geographical areas of the country, I'm sure he would solve the problems of everyone having to remove the California specific narratives and address more user specific needs at the same time.

• 3 weeks later...
That's weird,

I've never heard that one before about Allen. When did they start that?

OT - OF!!!

M.

Sorry I didn't respond sooner, I didn't realize you posted a question. On page 4, item 19a, of the N.Y. E&O insurance application, they request a copy of the contract and recently completed report. I will try to upload a copy of the app.

I'm not sure when they started asking for this, but, they do now.

• 8 months later...

I am trying to decide between HomeGauge and Palm-Tech report writing software. I am a new inspector and most of my clients will be investor who will not and maybe never actually see the property.

I will greatly appreciate any advice or comments from anyone familiar with these programs.

Tom

I used Palm-Tech for three or four years. Switched to HomeGauge because I like putting in photos and it's only a couple of seconds per photo in HomeGuage and it puts the photo right next to the commentary in the report. Point & drag with my tablet PC. Photo editing (light/darken - contrast - arrows circles, whatever) are right there. Photo sizer also right there - small, medium, large, extra large, take your choice on each photo. Mine defaults to medium but occassionally I change it for a specific purpose. Was a bit of a learning curve switching from one to the other but it was well worth it.

Many different templates easily customizable to my needs. Check boxes - check boxes with narriative - full narrative. The more I use it the more I find it can do.

I really like the upload report delivery feature also. Again a learning curve, but well worth it.

Get as many trials as you can. Complete three or four mock inspections with them. Pick the one that works best for you.

Originally posted by homnspector

Do you guys think it is ethical / legal to sell old inspection software you no longer use, or old versions after you have upgraded? I have older versions that are perfectly usable that I have paid for but that I don't need.

It is not legal to sell or give software to a third party RE: 3D systems. If an employee working out of your office the software can be licensed to that party for half price. However it is ok to sell or give your modified reports to a third party if they use the same 3D system that you do. Naturally if they don't have the same software the report will not load. Anyhow this is what my agreement says.

Paul B.

• 4 weeks later...

Does any one know a person who can modify InspectIt (AHIT) software to make me few template (macros)to my style of reports (MS WORD)for a reasonable sum and may be help me run through it few times. I am not a IT geek and the learning curve for me is very frustrating. I do not wish to go to non WORD type of softwares. TKX for help.

• 1 month later...

There is alot of effective and interesting software out there for report writing, but in the end we followed the KISS method. My grandfather started our business in the early 80's so we have seen alot of trends, marketing, and styles. When we switched to an all digital format, we simply created a Word doc primarily based on the carbon copy paper informational pages we used to use. It has drop down menus and is very simple to read. Entering the info is very quick and the best part is it is tailored for us, by us.

Agents like simple. Buyers like simple. We like simple.

Our company(father, brother and myself) performed over 1200 inspections last year with not one detrimental comment about our reports. We did receive plenty of accolades for its ease of understanding.

There is a total of 7 informational pages, with empty boxes under each section for reiterating the problems in the summary related to that section, and the addition of general maintenance issues that are not to be added to the summary.

The informational is check-box style for the most part with the above mentioned drop down boxes for quick fill in of items such as filter sizes, HVAC sizes, etc.

We have auto-text on for quickly adding phrases often used. All in all with none of us being computer experts, created this software in a couple weekends....with most of that time just typing all the info into Word and getting the format right.

from talking with an extensive amount of agents and buyers, bloated reports is one of the biggest turnoffs they have. I just wanted to pass this insight on, but with no disrespect to those who create software to sell. There are some very good products on the market.

Heck, maybe we should sell ours lol.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Jaws

Here I an two months after the fact with my 2 cents worth. I have to say this topic is right up my alley as I have been searching for the right reporting software. I'm currently using the Matrix and am tired of being limited to what I can report on and other issues which don't help me as an inspector. Lorne i've met you at your seminar this past summer in San Jose and again at Creia's Delta chapter meeting. The PV software is my strongest consideration so far due to the positive feedback i've recieved from other inspectors who are using PV software. As far as Lornes response time to his clients, I have been informed by Peter of A 2 Z inspections that he always responds in a very timely manner. With 1800 PV software users Lorne must get spread a little thin now and then, however you know in business you better do what you say you'll do or the word will get out and spread like wildfire.

John Metzger

Applied Research Inspection

Creia(can) Delta Chapter

try: www.inspectexpress.com

It's easy to use, easy to understand and expandable by the USER. I use it without complaint. Check out the demo to make sure it meets with your requirements.

I've been using 3D for several years, and have not had any support issues with them. Actually, in the time I've had the software (over 5 years) I've only had to contact them for support once or twice a year, and the issues have been solved. I will admit that the last person I talked to ( about 3 months ago) was a little curt on the phone, but her support was right on. I can live with bad manners, but I can't live without functional software. Just MHO...

• 3 weeks later...

One program to avoid, is Sanswrite by MAP software. Awful tech support, buggy product. They claim you can design your own reports, just don't expect them to work! Too many headaches over the last year, even with a "software upgrade". I'm looking at 3D now, or Inspect Express.

• 3 weeks later...

Lorne of Porter Valley Softsare has announced that the long awaited Version 5 of InspectVue will be released on 20 June.

Here are a couple of links to a screen shot and a functionality chart that he provided.

http://www.pvsoftware.com/IVR5_functionality.htm

http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=nh97racab.0.szo ... apture.htm

It looks pretty good, but my worry is that many of the features are not available until the 3rd quarter of this year, if they are delayed as long as Version 5, then that may be the 3rd quarter of 08'.

Lorne did run into problems with Vista and was forced to build a completely new platform for Version 5, so he did have a good reason I guess for the long delay, his mistake was in announcing it way to early.

Looks great though, of course it's taken me almost a year to get my InspectVue "tweaked" to just about where I want it, I guess I will find out how much more "tweaking" I will have to do after June 20. Hopefully it will be easier this time.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

As a Computer Scientist/Engineer turned Home Inspector (got tired of Gov't waste and incompetency), I have been very impressed with Palm-Tech's "Inspector 5" and other associated products. I did not assume it would be very useable out-of-the-box and was happy to see how much can be changed on the fly while performing an inspection. It's not cheap but priced within an acceptable range. I have looked at a few other products but not much past the $900+ price tags.