Water Heater Gas feed Line

member deleted

Originally posted by Kevin A. Richardson

The(LP)gas feed line to a water heater I inspected yesterday is copper. Is this acceptable. I have never seen this before. I thought natural gas contains sulfur and deteriorates the copper.

Any input or suggustions?

Thanks,

Kevin

*Some* natural gas contains sulfur compounds that can deteriorate copper. But that has nothing to do with propane. Copper is fine for that. Around here it's standard.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Thanks Jim!

I guess it's better to look like a dummy on this message board rather than in the field in front of my clients [:P].

I learn a lot from this site everyday.

Thanks,

Kevin

You'll have to try harder than that to look like a dummy. It was a perfectly reasonable question.

But feel free to keep trying.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

I guess it's better to look like a dummy on this message board rather than in the field in front of my clients.

I learn a lot from this site everyday.

Hang in there Kevin. It's one of my favorite ironies that by asking a lot of "stupid" questions we get much smarter. It's those who are afraid to expose their ignorance that keep it. [:-paperba

Brian G.

Kevin,

As Jim has said it is fine. In my area we see copper all of the time for natural gas. A man named Joe Zabadac(sp), "The Gas Man", has a session that he teaches at various conferences around the country on gas(natural & propane). He says's that the natural gas supply east of the Mississippi is clean and that drip legs are no longer needed he also says that copper can be used. In the same breath he also says that you should visit your local gas supplier, and ask them how clean their gas is and about the use of copper and drip legs. Joe's CYA statement.

If you ever get a chance to attend one of his session it is well worth it. I think he is at ITA this week in Vegas.

One word about copper; It needs to be protected from damage. It is soft and can be damaged easily.

Scott

You bring up something very interesting. About five years ago I attended a "Questar" seminar, they are the local gas provider in this area. They claim that the gas is clean and does not need a drip leg in the Utah and surrounding area.

Two years ago they started encouraging all owners of all gas burning appliances to have the units checked to insure that they were operating efficiently. (They call it “Green Taggingâ€

Here is the IRC take on it. Good advice Scott.

G2414.5.2 (403.5.2) Copper tubing.

Copper tubing shall comply with standard Type K or L of ASTM B 88 or ASTM B 280. Copper and brass tubing shall not be used if the gas contains more than an average of 0.3 grains of hydrogen sulfide per 100 standard cubic feet of gas (0.7 milligrams per 100 liters.

The IRC and the IMC require sediment traps.

§RG2418.4 (§FG408.4) Sediment trap. Where a sediment trap is not

incorporated as a part of the gas utilization equipment, a sediment trap

shall be installed as close to the inlet of the equipment as practical.

The sediment trap shall be either a tee fitting with a capped nipple in

the bottom opening of the run of the tee or other device approved as an

effective sediment trap. Illuminating appliances, ranges, clothes dryers,

and outdoor grills need not be so equipped.

When I was a kid my Mom had a stove with a long, skinny florescent light built into the top of the control panel. I thought that was an illuminating appliance. [:-propell

On the other hand, you could make a good arguement for the computer in a philosophical sense.

Then there's Chad's favorite version...the vibrator/flashlight combo. [:-bigeyes [:-dev3]

Originally posted by charlieb

You are one sick puppy

I may be exposing[:-wiltel] myself here...

Charlie, I'm sure I speak for everyone here when I say "Please don't!" [:-crazy]

...but why does your mind stay in that gutter?

It's my wife's fault. She's an animal. [-crzwom][:-mischie (Hey it's my lie, I'll tell it any way I want to.)

Brian G.