Well Pump

Neal Lewis

Quick question. How far can a single pipe jet type well pump lift water from underground?

It depends on the elevation above sea level, but the industry standard is 25'.
And can someone explain exactly what the foot valve does?
It's a simple check valve above an intake strainer. When the pump is on, suction lifts the valve open. When the pump shuts off, it keeps the water in the suction line from flowing out, which would result in loss of prime.

Quick question. How far can a single pipe jet type well pump lift water from underground?

And can someone explain exactly what the foot valve does?

Thanks

Hi,

This is my favorite place for learning stuff about private water supply systems.

http://www.purdue.edu/envirosoft/private/src/main.htm

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Guys there are deep well and shallow well jet pumps.

It seems the laws of physics limit how far a "pump" can suck water upward and how far a pump can push water up.

Kinda like saying your pickup truck can pull 3tons.

Yes - a single-line pump jet pump is for a shallow well. A dual-line jet pump is suitable for a much deeper well.

He was specifically asking about a single-line jet pump.

Was there an ultraviolet or chlorine injector? I can't remember seeing a single-line pump system without one.

Most shallow wells that I see don't have any treatment systems. I can certainly see the increased probability for contamination in a shallow system but because it's shallow doesn't mean it must have a treatment system.

The hole that I pull water from is only about 8 feet deep; according to Cornell, I should be bottling the stuff.