Great Pocket Knife

We like to let the group know when we have found something good and think that others would benefit from the evaluation - this is about a good friend of mine, the pocket knife.

I never go anywhere without my pocket knife. It is always in my right front pants pocket waiting for the next job. I swear it is like an extension of my hand. If, for some strange reason, I leave the house without it I'm bummed. I've carried a pocket knife for the last 35 years +-.

I was sharping my knife today when I thought I should pop on here and talk about it. The manufacture is Kershaw and it actually was my son that turned me on to these. It is an amazing knife, opens in the blink of an eye, wears like iron and can be sharpened to where you can shave with it (no BS).

This is the one I carry: http://www.kershawknives.com/searchresu ... lue=1620RD

It'll set you back a few bucks but well worth it. I'd give it two thumbs up but I lost one when I was trying to open a package .

I've tried to sharpen knives my entire life and have never gotten the hang of it. I try and try and try, but I can never attain an edge sharper than your basic 8 1/2" x 11" sheet of paper. If I'm ever in your neck of Ohio, I'm gonna force you to give me a lesson.

I have a cheapo similar to the knife in your photo that I snap triangular utility-knife blades into.

I never leave home without a couple......

Here's one that's amazed me for over 30 years. The Opinel series.

They look like a joke, and they work like a wonder. The design is about 100 years old, and it was the stock in trade for French fisherman sailing out of Marseilles.

The handle is pear, the steel is wonderful carbon that takes an edge like a razor and holds it like no other steel I've ever used.

I beat on the suckers with hammers to split wood, use 'em like screwdrivers if I have to, and can almost shave with them if I put a good edge on them. The one shown here I've had for about 15 years. I can't destroy it although I try on a regular basis.

And they cost about $10. I really like the big one for camping trips.

Sharpening is art and science. There's all kinds of ways to do it; don't listen to the mopes that insist there's only one way.

As a note, I've read the Japanese temple builder apprentice's had to learn to sharpen tools for about 10 years before they were allowed to use them. I kinda like that idea.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2009114213127_big%20opinel.jpg

28.34 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2009114213410_opinel.jpg

23.15 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2009114213426_steel.jpg

24.56 KB

I carry two:

The workhorse - http://www.leatherman.com/multi-tools/f ... runch.aspx - Leatherman has replaced the entire tool once. It had taken a beating ove the years. Lifetime repair/replace.

I also carry a Gerber fine edge. I really do not prefer a serrated edge but that is all the crunch comes with. The Gerber is compact, light and clips to my pocket.

I keep a ceramic sharpener in the truck and dress the edge after I use the Gerber.

Click to Enlarge
2009114222629_2009-11-04_2020.png

57.26 KB

Funny, I was just talkin' about getting me a new Leatherman today. I had one I lost in a tragic,though momentary, canoeing accident a bunch of years back. My cousin recommended the Gerber, so I bought one, then another, both of which I despised. I need a new multi-tool. Which one do you love, and why?

Funny Jim,

You posted while I hunted a photo of the Gerber. The main feature of the Crunch is a pair of locking pliers. They are a bit funky due to the folding action but once I became accustomed to them, they work flawlessly. I use them as a stop to keep the handle on the gas pump nozzle in the open position. Let's me check the oil etc, while the gas pumps.

It's beefy as you would expect a leatherman to be.

For work, I carry whatever was given to me at conferences and seminars. I lose 1-3 each year and still have half a drawer full.

I've collected a few vintage pocket knives from Sheffield. All are still very functional, still get some use, but I wouldn't take them on inspections, where I loose it sooner or later.

I've tried to sharpen knives my entire life and have never gotten the hang of it. I try and try and try, but I can never attain an edge sharper than your basic 8 1/2" x 11" sheet of paper. If I'm ever in your neck of Ohio, I'm gonna force you to give me a lesson.

I have tried damn near every sharpening tool out there. Wet stone, the 150.00 motorized sharpener (I tested it on one knife and promptly took it back to the place of purchase), diamond sharpening block, a tool that locked the knife in at the perfect angle and then you would run, what can be compared to a diamond studded file, along the blade & on and on. I could put a good edge on it but not a great edge.

Then, IIRC, I was watching an episode of Ask This Old House and Tom Silva was demonstrating how to sharpen a knife and was demonstrating different products. The one that they rated the best was the Accusharp - http://www.accusharp.com/ I went out and purchased one and IIRC the price was around $7.00. It is by far the best tool I've ever tried for sharpening a knife - it really puts a great edge on it. After sharpening the knife it gets a few swipes on the steel and then a trip to the leather strop. Be careful - it's really really sharp.

The sharpener is really aggressive though so don't be alarmed if you see tiny bits of the metal coming off when sharpening. I'd rather have a razor sharp knife that I'll have to replace 10 years down the road then a perpetually dull knife that lasts forever.

Funny, I was just talkin' about getting me a new Leatherman today. I had one I lost in a tragic,though momentary, canoeing accident a bunch of years back. My cousin recommended the Gerber, so I bought one, then another, both of which I despised. I need a new multi-tool. Which one do you love, and why?

I own a Leatherman. Never use it, but it comes in handy for making me feel equipped.

I keep the Leatherman tool in my inspection kit but rarely use it.

Thread drift...

I went on a Disney Cruise two years ago and put my Leatherman into my toiletry bag, inside of my suitcase. (I figured that if we were stranded on an island, I could use my Leatherman to be MacGyver and fashion a raft out of rope, driftwood, and coconuts [:-dunce])

When we got to our cabin, all of our luggage was in our room and there was a note on the desk that told me that when security x-rayed my suitcase, they saw it, confiscated it, and that I could retrieve it when disembarking at the end of the cruise.

No problem, I got it back at the end of the trip.

I just thought it was weird that every place to eat on the ship would hand you a large steak knife to use but they would not let me have the Leatherman tool in my room.

I have tried damn near every sharping tool out there. Wet stone, the 150.00 motorized sharpener (I tested it on one knife and promptly took it back to the place of purchase), diamond sharpening block, a tool that locked the knife in at the perfect angle and then you would run, what can be compared to a diamond studded file, along the blade & on and on. I could put a good edge on it but not a great edge.

Then, IIRC, I was watching an episode of Ask This Old House and Tom Silva was demonstrating how to sharpen a knife and was demonstrating different products. The one that they rated the best was the Accusharp - http://www.accusharp.com/ I went out and purchased one and IIRC the price was around $7.00. It is by far the best tool I've ever tried for sharping a knife - it really puts a great edge on it. After sharpening the knife it gets a few swipes on the steel and then a trip to the leather strop. Be careful - it's really really sharp.

The sharpener is really aggressive though so don't be alarmed if you see tiny bits of the metal coming off when sharping. I'd rather have a razor sharp knife that I'll have to replace 10 years down the road then a perpetually dull knife that lasts forever.

Thanks, Terry. I'll give it a whirl.