weather effects

John Dirks Jr

Enter the (hopefully) helpful, plainspoken, blunt guy...

John,

You seem like a very genuine and good guy. Re-read your question. Maryland has just about every kind of weather and you tell us every kind of roofing, as well. You are asking for someone here to distill the effects of every kind of weather on every kind of roofing into a TIJ post. That's a book, not a post.

Certainteed used to have a free course on roofing. They'd send you a book, you'd take a test and you could become a Certainteed Master Roofer. I still have the basebeall cap they sent me. Start there, and keep reading, but take care not to get lazy and ask these grizzled veterans to give you all of the knowledge they bled and sweated for. They couldn't do it if they wanted to anyway.

Ali could tell me how he trained, but that wouldn't be enough to get me past Smokin' Joe Frazier (not even today). To get where he got, I'd have to do what he did.

In short: Ask for book recommendations, not Cliff notes. Because books and courses will give you knowledge. Working will give you judgement. You're going to need lots of both, friend.

That was sincerely meant to be helpful. I hope it was.

Sorry I was vague with the questions.

Asphalt shingles were the main material on my mind. Winter weather affects on older asphalt shingles narrows my inquiry down more.

Jim,

You put a good effort into your response and I do find it helpful.

I found a wealth of info here. Not only at this specific page but the others linked there too.

Do you consider InspectAPedia a decent source of information?

http://www.inspectapedia.com/roof/AsphaltWear.htm

Hell yes I do, but what does that matter? I might be the worst home inspector in North America for all you know. Just because Mike gives me leash here doesn't mean I know anything. You'd have to hear me lecture or shadow me on inspections for a while before you'd know if I actually know anything worthwhile or not.

Read Inspect-a-pedia, Certainteed, and whatever else you can get your hands on and judge it against what you've seen, heard, and done. That's where judgement is born.

John,

I think Kurt hit it on the head. Proper drainage will allow the shingles to perform as intended. If debris builds up on the shingles, it can lead to deterioration(granule loss). Same with excessive moss buildup. In our area the winter brings a lot of rain. I am sure that the constant water run off also leads to premature granule loss. Proper ventilation? Wind?

V/R

Yes, I think that might be the case.

Jim's not dodging anything. He laid it out about as succinctly as anyone could.

Judgment in this gig is born of looking at a lot of roofs.

Honest, just stick with the "roofing performs as well as it drains" for a while.

I usually start my roof inspection with the simple observation of drainage patterns. Then I get into underlayment/felts/IWS, flashing, then fasteners. The last thing I look at is general condition of the shingles.

I've seen total POS crap installations (my house when I bought it) that were >40 years old and working just fine simply because it was so steep the drainage made up for many, many stupid things.

Is this one of those times where you know the answer you are looking for?

Actually, no. That was just an extension of a conversation that morphed.

I was looking for discussion about roof wear related to weather extremes. No hidden agenda.

With the knowledge base here I thought it would be easy to get that going. It might be working after all.

John,

I may be misinterpreting your post, but it sure sounds to me like you're killing time by trying to arbitrarily provoke a wide-open ended roofing discussion so you can eavesdrop and hopefully get a fast and free Complete General Roofing Education. I'm not interested in helping you out in that endeavor. If you really want to learn all there is to know about 'extreme weather effects on all types of roofing', I suggest that you start by Googling it. Better yet, Google 'Jerry Peck' and ask him. He'll keep you busy.

If I'm wrong and you have a specific question, please ask it. I bet the helpful folks around TIJ will line up to answer it. They always do. I find that the more specific my questions are, the more plentiful and helpful the responses tend to be.

John,

I may be misinterpreting your post, but it sure sounds to me like you're killing time by trying to arbitrarily provoke a wide-open ended roofing discussion so you can eavesdrop and hopefully get a fast and free Complete General Roofing Education. I'm not interested in helping you out in that endeavor. If you really want to learn all there is to know about 'extreme weather effects on all types of roofing', I suggest that you start by Googling it. Better yet, Google 'Jerry Peck' and ask him. He'll keep you busy.

If I'm wrong and you have a specific question, please ask it. I bet the helpful folks around TIJ will line up to answer it. They always do. I find that the more specific my questions are, the more plentiful and helpful the responses tend to be.

Perzactly.

Yesterday, I had planned on posting photos of a wooden roof 'cause I knew everyone would help me understand any issues I was uncertain about or unfamiliar with.

It would be taking advantage, however, simply to launch a discussion about wooden roofs in general.

I'm not trying to steal anything or waste peoples time.

As far as starting conversations and attempting to learn, I'll plead guilty to that.

Although not the specific things I set out for, I'm learning from this tread. I'm learning things that I wouldn't have had I not started it. I see the points being made and have no reason to argue them. I have no regrets.

I appreciate everyones input.