anyone wanna pucker?

I've spent many years developing the discipline to work around table saws, circular saws, hammers, gun nailers, etc in a safe and cautious manner so as not to become injured by them. Now this guy, and a bunch of others, deliberately put their finger in harm's way?

So this is his bright new invention? I've got a better one: don't stick your finger in it, couillon!

Marc

Everyone I know missing a finger(s) are people who should have known better. When you work with a machine every day you become complacent, and that's when you get hurt. My wife recently broke her finger when it went through a cam and follower on her printing press. She was lucky she was running a little press and her injuries were minor, a former co-worker of her's filleted his hand on a much larger version of the same machine. Production work is tedious monotonous stuff, anything that will make it safer is a good idea.

I wouldn't say no to having one of these in my shop, but just about anything would be safer than the early 50's Craftsman saw I have now; no blade guard, no belt guard, rip fence is a 2x6 and some clamps, and you pull the plug to turn it off. A switch would be nice, but I really miss a good fence.

Tom

Can't get hurt if you have push sticks, safety glasses, and understand kickback.

I have some fundamental dis-ease with trying to stupid-proof tools. Even if it won't cut your finger off, it could still slam a 2x4 through your gut if it kicked back.

Yes, guards and such are smart, but I hate them. They're the first things I take off any new table saw. Remove the guards, and hang my push sticks and anti-kickback devices on the on-off switch.

I wouldn't say no to having one of these in my shop, but just about anything would be safer than the early 50's Craftsman saw I have now; no blade guard, no belt guard, rip fence is a 2x6 and some clamps, and you pull the plug to turn it off. A switch would be nice, but I really miss a good fence.

Wow, you have a nice saw. I tighten the belt on Crapsman saw with a number of shims and the motor is strapped to the bracket with a ratcheting strap. It is not without vibration.

What about the "electriical conductivity" of PT wood when it's still damp? Would that trigger the guard?

As for the guard working, it clearly does most of the time, but I noticed that the inventor slobbered up his finger by sticking it in his mouth before exposing himself to the blade.

Just to be certain, I'm sure . . .

Can't get hurt if you have push sticks, safety glasses, and understand kickback.

While working in the maintenance department of a local hospital, back in the 70's, one of the guys was using a table saw to cut 2x2 blocks of wood. One of them shot back and hit him in right below the nose and opened up a gap like the Grand Canyon. I've never seen so much blood in my life. Lucky for him it was a short trip to the E.R.

Kickback is for real.