Now wadda you going to report?

Just got this notice this morning.

Sure seems the govt is anxious to "help" with a problem that we can't quite identify. See posting about radon.

What ever happened to making your house payment and cutting back on the NetFlicks?

This is the HUD national homeownership center reference guide mailing list for real estate industry professionals that are interested in updates to HUD Mortgagee letters, notices and guidebooks, & FHA Housing Industry Training. Please visit our homepage at: http://www.hud.gov/offices/hsg/sfh/hsgsingle.cfm Servicing lenders can visit HUD's National Servicing Center at: http://www.hud.gov/offices/hsg/sfh/nsc/nschome.cfm This list does not provide HudHome property listings.

All-

HUD TO ASSIST HOMEOWNERS FACING PROBLEM DRYWALL

Temporary relief available to make home repairs affordable for at-risk borrowers

WASHINGTON – On December 22, 2009, the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development announced that FHA-insured families experiencing problems associated with problem drywall may be eligible for assistance to help them rehabilitate their properties. In addition, HUD’s Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) Program may also be a resource to help local communities combat the problem.

FHA is reminding its approved lenders that they are to offer special forbearance for borrowers confronted with the sudden effects of damaging drywall products in their homes including the financial hardship associated with related home repairs.

“We’re instructing our FHA mortgage lenders nationwide to extend temporary relief to allow these families time to remove problem damaging drywall and repair their homes,â€

Hey Phillip,

This is my take on it at 2:28 EST on 12-31-09. I have this entity, Hud, being reactive about a condition that I really do not understand. So, I am going to report I do not have factual data or information regarding "Chinese" drywall. I recommend you contact your HUD lender for information, selection of a contractor(s), not make any payments after closing, carry tissues with you 24hrs per day, and do not worry. We will take care of you. As a semi-skilled home inspector, Why would I tell you to do anything?

Couple of weeks ago I could have had a discussion, but now Anything I say just puts me in line for the eventual cause of action.

Phillip, I am not trying to make a political statement here, just feeling frustrated about everyone knowing more about these issues than ME! I do not believe that.

Does anyone on this board test for it? Do you folks realize how much it will cost to install new gypsum board, make repairs for damaged components, and re-decorate???

I am lucky to have built many houses as a contractor and currently own a restoration company. I will use the restoration costs over the initial costs in every instance. For restoration I am guided by the insurance industry and for initial construction I was subjected to market conditions, etc.

Despite some stat somewhere that says it's in Washington State, which is the result of some panicky homeowner seeing it on the news and immediately attributing something going on in the home to Chinese drywall absent of proof, we don't have any of it here.

According to the Northwest Wall and Ceiling bureau in Seattle, there are so many drywall plants in the region that we never had a shortage in the northwest and no Chinese drywall has been sold here.

The guy at NWCB did tell me that a tractor trailer load of the stuff had been stopped on the Canadian border at Blaine and was turned back, but that nothings been built with it here.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Hey Phillip,

This is my take on it at 2:28 EST on 12-31-09. I have this entity, Hud, being reactive about a condition that I really do not understand. So, I am going to report I do not have factual data or information regarding "Chinese" drywall. I recommend you contact your HUD lender for information, selection of a contractor(s), not make any payments after closing, carry tissues with you 24hrs per day, and do not worry. We will take care of you. As a semi-skilled home inspector, Why would I tell you to do anything?

Couple of weeks ago I could have had a discussion, but now Anything I say just puts me in line for the eventual cause of action.

Phillip, I am not trying to make a political statement here, just feeling frustrated about everyone knowing more about these issues than ME! I do not believe that.

Does anyone on this board test for it? Do you folks realize how much it will cost to install new gypsum board, make repairs for damaged components, and re-decorate???

Les I am just trying to find out more about the drywall.

I have in my IA that I don't check for it. I know it not going to help much if someone sues me about it.

Local IACHI had a meeting in Birmingham last month on the subject and past out a lot of web sites about it.

There where a few folks there that tested for it. One of the test was to sent pieces of drywall to the lab. To do that right you would have to sent a piece from each panel of drywall.

Another test was there is a liquid that you put on the drywall and if it turn to a certain color it might be the Chinese drywall.

There is Chinese drywall in Birmingham. The home builder assoc. here in Tuscaloosa report none has been found.

I am lucky to have built many houses as a contractor and currently own a restoration company. I will use the restoration costs over the initial costs in every instance. For restoration I am guided by the insurance industry and for initial construction I was subjected to market conditions, etc.

It has been my experience that the insurance industry seriously under values the cost of labor, and to a large extent materials too. When pressed they also tend to want to control my overhead and profit percentages as well. You're still subject to market conditions and the insurance companies are disconnected here too, just not as much as Feds.

I still think my estimate is pretty close. In order to restore one of these buildings you have to remove all of the interior finishes, provide suitable protection for everything to be reused and for any flooring that doesn't get removed, gut out the drywall, gut out the insulation to inspect and repair and damaged plumbing and wiring, put it all back together, fix the flooring you inevitably damaged along the way, and reinstall the rest of the interior finishes, again replacing what gets broken. The man hours involved are stagering, and the building could be demolished and reconstructed in a comparable time frame. I'd love to see a real cost comparison.

Tom

Despite some stat somewhere that says it's in Washington State, which is the result of some panicky homeowner seeing it on the news and immediately attributing something going on in the home to Chinese drywall absent of proof, we don't have any of it here.

According to the Northwest Wall and Ceiling bureau in Seattle, there are so many drywall plants in the region that we never had a shortage in the northwest and no Chinese drywall has been sold here.

The guy at NWCB did tell me that a tractor trailer load of the stuff had been stopped on the Canadian border at Blaine and was turned back, but that nothings been built with it here.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

I believe that truckload found a home in Canada. Some has been found just north of Blaine in Surrey and the Fraser Valley. Also in the Toronto area.

I think it could have been traced back to a major retailer, but the paperwork was all tainted and had to be destroyed! [:-spin]