finding a radon mitigation contractor

I have a family member that wants to mitigate elevated levels of radon in their home. I've not been in business long enough to develope any trusted relationships with mitigation contractors.

Do any of you have a recommendation for a qualified company in my area of central Maryland?

Here is the NRPP list for MD. There are weblinks for some of them. Does any of the information here make you lean toward specific ones?

http://radongas.org/mitigation_template/MD.shtml

Thanks for your time.

Hi John,

Before you let a family member spend all that money, Have them check this out.

http://www.forensic-applications.com/radon/radon.html

Gary,

Do you think the article disproves that radon in homes can be a hazard to occupants?

In general, science seeks to disprove. In this case, I don't think it does.

It does do a good job of questioning how decisions were made.

Gary,

Do you think the article disproves that radon in homes can be a hazard to occupants?

In general, science seeks to disprove. In this case, I don't think it does.

It does do a good job of questioning how decisions were made.

John,

I think, it's easy to scare a herd of sheep.

I think, it's easy scare people into spending money because, they believe what they hear without asking why.

I think, I'd rather believe a guy like CPC who signs his name to what he offers to the public, than to follow the herd over a cliff because, "someone " said so.

All "someone" has to do, is plant a seed. It happens over and over again.

The news reports that granite countertops contain radon. Big news.

But when the truth came out, who heard about it? Too late. The seed has been planted.

So I guess until "someone" provides proof that radon can be a hazard to the occupants, my answer is, Yup.

John,

Create an account at EFI.org so you can buy the components at wholesale and install them yourself. You are qualified to test for the stuff, it ain't a big leap to mitigate it. The research involved in learning to design and install mitigation will benefit the radon side of your business by expanding you skillset and knowledge base.

Tom

Hi John,

That web site is an excellent start. Those are people who are qualified to mitigate radon. From what I understand, testers do not have be licensed with NRPP.

If your family member has not ordered the test already, I would make sure that the test device is electronic, and that runs for 24 hours for the reading.

Just my $0.02.

The radon test has to be minimum of 48 hours, Look at the NRPP or NRSB sites for mitigators in your area. I do radon mitigation in NE TN but I don't know any of them in that area. And you can buy the parts through Radon Away or Radon Control, the biggest cost is the hammer drill and bits if your going to do a lot of them. I don't get into the argument on whether it is or isn't a health hazard, I just do what the client asks.

Dennis

Dennis,

This is not a shot at you-

Everyone should (needs) to know what their state requirements are.

I just did a radon test in a house owned by a relo company. The results were over 10. The buyer submits the report to the relo company and they reject it. They are saying I conducted the test using a single canister. It didn't matter my state license number or the NJ approved labs license number is on the report, they are trying to reject it.

Lo and behold, they didn't realize the test was conducted with a monitor.

Just for the record, NJ does allow for a single canister and NJ does allow a 24 hour test IF you use a monitor. Radon testing in NJ is not part of the EPA but rather NJDEP radon division.

I'm was ticked (now I smile) that the relo company was trying to make me look bad when in fact they are the one that look incompetent.

Darren

To be certified through NRSB or NRPP the test is minimum 48 hours. And in Tennessee and Virginia that is the standard. I see this as the same problem with the individual states adopting the IRC then taking out what they think is irrelevent. There needs to be a national standard without all the changes on a state by state basis. I apologize for the error.

Dennis