Glitter in the Attic

Ben H

When I opened the hatch and shined my light up I noticed a sparkly substance all over a rafter board. Once I got in there, I noticed they were on all 4 "corner" rafters only (hipped roof). It was all gold and sparkley. Kinda like disco. It appears to be tiny dried sap balls. But why would it ONLY be on the 4 corner boards and the not the entire attic? Is this something to be conserned about?

Click to Enlarge
tn_2010220121815_100_5479.jpg

33.87 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2010220121859_100_5478.jpg

38.68 KB

That's just a bit of pitch. A lot of pitch can be pretty impressive. We see this in the older places, 100% old growth Df. This pic from last week, looks like drops have been falling on the new insulation.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2010220222210_Raftrpitch.jpg

52.11 KB

The soffits were sealed up with stucco on these old houses. They probably should have cut new soffit vents before adding the insulation.

That's just a bit of pitch. A lot of pitch can be pretty impressive. We see this in the older places, 100% old growth Df. This pic from last week, looks like drops have been falling on the new insulation.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2010220222210_Raftrpitch.jpg

52.11 KB

The soffits were sealed up with stucco on these old houses. They probably should have cut new soffit vents before adding the insulation.

True enough. There's a ton of places in the close in 'burbs that were all built with the old growth DF; I've seen literal "icicles" of pitch coming out of some of them.

Yeah but...there won't be any douglas fir in a batch of hem fir here. There are plenty of hemlocks and smaller firs here that will be in the mix, but doug fir has to be shipped here from the West, and as such there is a premium for it above and beyond the premium for hem fir, if you can find it at all.

Because your a wordy guy and I thought you'd like to know, I think you might have phloem in your throat. If that's the case just swallow, 'cause it's xylem up and phloem down.

Tom