Blue damp-proof material?

Has anyone ever seen this blue foundation damp-proof material before? It's a first for me. It obviously has not adhered. The house is 3 years old and never occupied. The buyer is freaked out about moisture/mold issues (she had a guy there running around taking air samples during the inspection).

Click to Enlarge
tn_20103121558_1%20119.jpg

59.04Â KB

Not related, but just for laughs, here are two more issues (of many) that this million dollar house had. It was originally listed for 1.5 million when it was completed 2 and a half years ago.

The patio under the deck is below the surrounding grade. As if that's not enough, it slopes back to the building.

Click to Enlarge
tn_20103121111_1%20096.jpg

41.78Â KB

Above the patio, the deck ledger board is attached to the stucco.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201031211325_1%20142.jpg

52.21Â KB

I won't even mention the roof issues!

You've got a point there, Marc. The last time she was in the house, she said there was a big puddle where this stain is.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201031213352_1%20130.jpg

28.94 KB

Jeez, I wonder if it had anything to do with the missing gutter at the roof over the rear half of the 4 car garage. The water dropping down scoured a nice gravel channel that ran back toward the house. As a bonus, the downspout that drained the other half of the garage roof was perfectly positioned to take advantage of that gravel lined channel to make a beeline back to the foundation. That took some real planning!

Click to Enlarge
tn_201031214119_1%20179.jpg

77.86 KB

Ben: The black line is meant to be exposed. It's supposed to make the roof resemble slate when viewed from a distance. You can sort of see the effect here. Nice valley, eh?

Click to Enlarge
tn_20103129248_1%20038.jpg

101.49 KB

Terry: It's masonry stucco.

Since we're on a roll, here's another goody. This is the wall that shields the driveway from the road:

Click to Enlarge
tn_201031293024_1%20110.jpg

39.19 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201031293120_1%20111.jpg

60.9 KB

Here's an overall shot:

Click to Enlarge
tn_201031293213_1%20003.jpg

52.88 KB

That roofer should be hung by his thumbs and flogged with one of those shingles. The builder should be forced to watch so he knows what to expect when he takes his turn.

Ben, those are high end Certainteed shingles, Cape Hatteras I think, and run about $280-300 a square.

$1 million sure does get you a big turd these days.

Tom

$1 million sure does get you a big turd these days.

Tom

If that bothers you, I guess you don't want to come out here and tour some Sunday open houses. The sticker shock just for what you'd pay out here for a beat up 50 year old POS would probably put you into therapy until the end of your days.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Thanks Mike!

Before I posted, I tried finding it on Google, but I guess I didn't use the correct terms.

I just uploaded the report. Six hours at the inspection and another 5-6 to do the report. At least I had a little fun with it. This picture was included in the report to illustrate how some window lock sections don't align. I couldn't help but include a little unrelated editorial comment.[:-slaphap

Click to Enlarge
tn_2010312163641_1%20120.jpg

41.42 KB

Thanks Mike!

Before I posted, I tried finding it on Google, but I guess I didn't use the correct terms.

I just uploaded the report. Six hours at the inspection and another 5-6 to do the report. At least I had a little fun with it. This picture was included in the report to illustrate how some window lock sections don't align. I couldn't help but include a little unrelated editorial comment.[:-slaphap

Click to Enlarge
tn_2010312163641_1%20120.jpg

41.42 KB

That is too funny.[:D]

Flashing pans? Dams? Pffffhhhtt!

Nyuk,

If you asked a builder around here about flashing pans and dams he wouldn't have even the feintest idea what you were talking about. Moistop and it's cousins are king around here these days. They haven't a clue.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

If you asked a builder around here about flashing pans and dams he wouldn't have even the feintest idea what you were talking about.

It's probably just a difference in terminology but just to get on board with everybody else here, what the heck is flashing 'pans and dams'?

Marc

If you asked a builder around here about flashing pans and dams he wouldn't have even the feintest idea what you were talking about.

It's probably just a difference in terminology but just to get on board with everybody else here, what the heck is flashing 'pans and dams'?

Marc

I'd like to know as well.

Marc

He's talking about sill pans for windows - a sheet metal flashing that goes over the bottom of a window's rough opening. It should include end dams and, sometimes but not always, a rear dam. I recommend them all the time on doors, but no windows so much. I feel that flexible peel & stick is fine there.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif Pan Flashing.JPG

32.03 KB

Like these:

Click to Enlarge
tn_2010314144745_sillpanflashings.jpg

182.17 KB

Nobody bothers to learn this stuff anymore.

Thanks Jim.

Interesting drawing Mike! That's the first time I've ever seen or heard of a wooden sill and header installed on brick veneer.

Is this drawing suggesting that today's 'drainage plane/brick sill/weep hole' configuration is inadequate?

Anyone have a picture of one on a house?

Marc