Will this void warranty?

Robert Jones

Here is a home that recently had a roof over giving it 2 layers of shingles. Obviously not installed to well[;)] Does an installation like this void the shingle warranty? Is it more of a cosmetic issue because it is a second layer? This was performed by one of our fine local flippers.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201041721159_P1080808%20(Medium).jpg

99.88 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2010417211527_P1080806%20(Medium).jpg

91.68 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2010417211633_P1080805%20(Medium).jpg

86.29 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201041722534_P1080799%20(Medium).jpg

93.01 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201041722557_P1080801%20(Medium).jpg

90.31 KB

Realtor didn't think so.

She called and asked me to re-word it. I refused. She groused a little bit. I told her that I'd re-word it if she could show me where it was an untrue statement. She hung up pissed off. The clients were referred by friends; THEY got the message loud and clear.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Here is a home that recently had a roofover giving it 2 layers of shingles. Obviously not installed too well [;)] Does an installation like this void the shingle warranty?

Warranty, schwarranty. Shingle companys don't pay out anyway, even if the roof is laid right. [:)]

I'd tell the clients it needs repair around the vents and then they could be ok, but I wasn't there to see it all, just judging from those pics. One big wind could change everything. The loose ends should be glued down with tar. The layer underneath will help a bit. It might not last much past 10 or 12 years, but that depends on the weather, and how well it's nailed.

Here is a home that recently had a roof over giving it 2 layers of shingles. Obviously not installed to well[;)] Does an installation like this void the shingle warranty? Is it more of a cosmetic issue because it is a second layer? This was performed by one of our fine local flippers.

I would tell the client flat out that the roof is installed wrong, who knows if it will leak or blow off, but if they want it installed right, they'll need to have it replaced.

Chris, Oregon

I would tell the client flat out that the roof is installed wrong, who knows if it will leak or blow off, but if they want it installed right, they'll need to have it replaced.

Chris, Oregon

So would I. Be bold Robert. Protect your client. The seams in adjacent courses should be no closer than 4". Strip it down to the felt and do it over.

Marc

Chris, Oregon

So would I. Be bold Robert. Protect your client. The seams in adjacent courses should be no closer than 4". Strip it down to the felt and do it over.

Marc

I wasn't there and I agree it looks like a crappy roof job. There is one row, the fourth one down from the top, that isn't staggered properly from the row below.

Is it leaking?

If a house isn't built right, do you tell people to tear it down?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to insult your intelligence, just presenting another point of view. For example, the price is reasonable, the clients are handy and prepared to repair now and eventually replace, "Is it leaking?""The roof has to be torn off?""Can we fix it and get by for a while?"

Thanks for the replies everyone. I did tell my clients on site that the roof was installed improperly and that it would need addressing by someone that actually knows how to install shingles. I just wasn't sure about the warranty issue. Young lady, first time buyer and the flip was simply eye candy with an updated kitchen and new carpet.

The roof was not leaking, yet. And being a second layer may not ever. Just hate for her to sell in a few years, only to be stuck having to replace it by the next buyer.

Thanks again guys.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I did tell my clients on site that the roof was installed improperly and that it would need addressing by someone that actually knows how to install shingles. I just wasn't sure about the warranty issue. Young lady, first time buyer and the flip was simply eye candy with an updated kitchen and new carpet.

The roof was not leaking, yet. And being a second layer may not ever. Just hate for her to sell in a few years, only to be stuck having to replace it by the next buyer.

Thanks again guys.

OK, I would in that case do what you did, call for a full and proper repair by a qualified roofer. The only proper fix is a new roof, and if the client isn't inclined to do roofing work, it could be expensive trouble that has to be pointed out to them.

Normally if shingles are not installed per the manufacturer's recommendations - good lucjk at any compensation.

If your codes are anything like ours usually minimum code is less than the manufacturer's minimum recommendations so as such unless a new home warranty with the builder is in effect then i guess that's it.

I wish the codes would be updated so that as a minimum the manufacturer's standardd installation proctices would be respected.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201041721159_P1080808%20(Medium).jpg

99.88 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2010417211527_P1080806%20(Medium).jpg

91.68 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2010417211633_P1080805%20(Medium).jpg

86.29 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201041722534_P1080799%20(Medium).jpg

93.01 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201041722557_P1080801%20(Medium).jpg

90.31 KB

I'd call it an unprofessional installation and recommend consulting a qualified roofer for proper repair (replacement).