Velux VS606 10 years old,3 @ $350.00 no flashing

thotty2227

Velux VS 606 44-1/4" x 46-1/4" used, 10 years old $350.00 for 3. They have no flashing, but do have blinds. Should I buy them ? The roof that I want to put them on does not slope much, about 3' pitch in 16'. The roof joists are 24" on center. The roof covering is rolled roofing, fairly recent. I need some natural light in this room for my birds. It is on the North side, so wall windows won't help. Is this doable ? HELP !

Thanks,

Tom

One new 606 with EDL step flashing and shade is about $735 and will work with a minimum pitch of 3/12. Some time ago that minimum was a bit steeper (I don't recall exactly when velux lowered it, but the change was in the glazing seals at the bottom of the unit), those older units may not work on such a low slope. I would suggest you buy new FCM2246, with shades and flashing they run $354. They are suitable for your low slope and will fit between the rafters so the installation will be a lot easier. The Q series self flashing unit is also a good choice, but if your dimensions are accurate your roof is below the minimum pitch.

Personally, I'd also budget for replacing the roof cover. Rolled roofing is cheap and it will be far easier to detail the flashing and/or curbs with new material.

Tom

Thanks very much for your answer and your time. Actually my birds do love showers, but what a mess. I also bought some tinted bubble skylights that I was going to use they are about the same size but I was not going to cut the rafters and of course they are not insulated. What do you think about that ?

With a low pitch like that and rolled roofing materials, I'm afraid your birds will be having some showers along with the additional light.

Thanks very much for your reply. I'm not sure what you mean by deck mounted. I also have 4 plexiglass tinted bubble skylights that I was going to use, about the same size, not insulated and fixed, but I was not going to cut the roof rafters for them. What do you think about that ? I'm sure that with plenty of roof tar either will work, maybe ?

3:12 is the minimum roof slope for Velux VS. You'd have to build and properly flash a sloped curb, but that model is manufactured to be deck mounted.

Thanks very much for your reply. I'm not sure what you mean by deck mounted. I also have 4 plexiglass tinted bubble skylights that I was going to use, about the same size, not insulated and fixed, but I was not going to cut the roof rafters for them. What do you think about that ? I'm sure that with plenty of roof tar either will work, maybe ?

If you cut a rafter, you should double up the first rafter on each side of the opening, by which I mean to install additional full length rafters, as well as the headers. That would translate into a lot of interior finish work.

Marc

Good answer Tom.

Taking short cuts is gonna cost you a lot more down the road.

What kind of "rolled" roofing do you have?--Hopefully modified bitumen. No matter what, you are going to need curbs built up, unless you want to guarantee showers for the birds. Based on your question and comments, you are going to need to hire a good roofer.