19" of rain in 36 hours!

OK, I have gone through 4 hurricanes including Katrina and I have never seen this much rain! Middle TN is getting hammered, especially the greater Nashville area. We sit on a hill and do not have a water problem, other than getting in and out of the subdivision. I had an inspection for tomorrow cancel because they had 6' of water in their basement that supposedly has never had water in it!

The attached photo is the entrance to our subdivision. The water is from a good size natural spring creek, it normally has about a foot of water in it. It is about eight feet higher than normal.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201052163910_DSCN0523.jpg

52.85 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201052163941_DSCN0527.jpg

39.85 KB

And Yes, those are folks playing in the rushing water!

You'll be gettin' some wet basement calls from past clients for not predicting this.

I love those . . . .

We're getting it here, too, Scott, but not quite as bad. My German Shepherd has been following me from room to room all day 'cause he's terrified of the thunder.

You'll be gettin' some wet basement calls from past clients for not predicting this.

A year and a half ago I got a call from a woman I had done an inspection for in 2006. NW Indiana was experiencing some major flooding and her basement got about 6" of water in it (she was lucky). She complained that I should have warned her on the report and tested the "water tightness" of her basement. She never called back. Who is the basement water tightness testing expert on this forum? And where do I buy the equipment?

OK, I have gone through 4 hurricanes including Katrina and I have never seen this much rain! Middle TN is getting hammered, especially the greater Nashville area. We sit on a hill and do not have a water problem, other than getting in and out of the subdivision. I had an inspection for tomorrow cancel because they had 6' of water in their basement that supposedly has never had water in it!

The attached photo is the entrance to our subdivision. The water is from a good size natural spring creek, it normally has about a foot of water in it. It is about eight feet higher than normal.

Click to Enlarge

52.85 KB

Click to Enlarge

39.85 KB

Brings back fond memories of playing football in streets flooded to our waists. Just gotta watch out for the snakes, the water moccasins!

Marc

Click to Enlarge

52.85 KB

Click to Enlarge

39.85 KB

Brings back fond memories of playing football in streets flooded to our waists. Just gotta watch out for the snakes, the water moccasins!

Marc

Just how does one "watch out" for snakes in waist deep water while packing the pigskin?

Who is the basement water tightness testing expert on this forum? And where do I buy the equipment?

Not an expert, but I will on occasion, depending on a lot of variables, tell folks that the lack of a sump and drain tile in their basement means they will get water in the basement.

When they inevitably get water in the basement, they'll call me to tell me so, marveling at my prescience.