liner stacked on bricks

The top section of liner was raised by stacking it on bricks. Was this done because lazy builders did not want to cut an additional piece to make the liner the right height?

It serves a gas furnace only and this gap is above the roof line. Is this a problem that should be written up? I know it's shoddy workmanship, but what else?

Click to Enlarge
tn_201054233453_P1030407.jpg

31.29 KB

Good find. I'd for sure put it in my report, and tell them to get a tech out to line it or otherwise repair it.

Reality says it's a very unlikely problem given the particulars, but there's reasons the liner is supposed to be tight and continuous.

And, I've heard back that I missed something like this (once that I know of, and probably more times that I haven't). The customers weren't pissed because I pointed out a lot of other stuff that said the heating system was nasty, but I hate hearing stuff back.

Always put stuff like this in the report.

Thanks for the quick feedback. I'll put it in the report and let them sort it out among the rest of the stuff.

Another thing, the fireplace (different liner but same chimney) had a gas log added. It's a masonry unit with a huge ash dump pit that can be see looking through a door in the basement. The pit was full of ashes from way back when. Are those ashes hurting anything by being left in there? It's a pretty big pile.

The top section of liner was raised by stacking it on bricks. Was this done because lazy builders did not want to cut an additional piece to make the liner the right height?

Yep - a common cheat.
It serves a gas furnace only and this gap is above the roof line. Is this a problem that should be written up?
Yep. The T/C flue liner is looking quite pitted as well. Probably about due for relining anyway. Was this chimney venting an oil-fired system previously?

Some chimney guys who do video scans will "fail' the liner if the joints aren't fully mortared. I see that exact situation frequently. I tell them exactly what Kurt said, and advise that a chimney pro can decide what the best course of action is.

Bill, the pitting seems to be very minor on the surface. chimney guys I know wouldn't even blink at that amount of wear.

John, did you take a cap off to check the liner? Several HI's have told me not to take the cover off- liability, etc., but there's a lot of good stuff to see by taking them off.

Bill, the pitting seems to be very minor on the surface. chimney guys I know wouldn't even blink at that amount of wear.

I would agree, specifically if it's only the top section. Once the vitrified "surface" is breached however, it will spall fairly rapidly. Unfortunately, many sweeps here will insist on relining, even if the pitting/spalling is only to the top section. They will also call a liner unsafe if the flue tiles are misaligned at the joints more than 1/8"!

Most sweeps here will not "fix" what John has pictured and will insist on relining. Some will use it as an opportunity to condemn the entire chimney and insist on rebuilding.