One large carpenter ant

You killed our queen and we know where you live! [:(!] [:(!] [:(!]

There are actually 5 different sizes of carpenters, so even the little ones are bad news, there can be a colony in the house.

Click to Enlarge
2010522201934_ant%20stages.gif

I think yours is actually a worker on steroids. They're the ones that bore the tunnels, push the sawdust and do the bull work.

That's a foundress -- a fertilized female who's dropped her wings. You can see the scars on the sides of her thorax. She's probably already laid her first clutch of eggs which have probably developed into larvae already. If you killed her, they'll die.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

I used to have pet carpenter ants.

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif Scars.jpg

114.26 KB

Actually, that scar's from where I winged it with a pellet gun a couple of days ago. Nice catch, Robert.

Just kidding Jim, we believe you.

BTW, you might have called them your pets, but somehow I don't think your pet ants gave a flying funk what you thought. [:)]

. . . BTW, you might have called them your pets, but somehow I don't think your pet ants gave a flying funk what you thought. [:)]

In fact, they behaved rather coldly toward me.

I discovered them living in the wall of my house and I installed a small "window" with a removable plug that I could use to watch them at night. I was able to monitor them for about a week like that before they caught on. One evening, I opened the plug to find that they'd moved out. It took me two weeks to figure out which stud bay they'd moved to. Next, I installed a more discrete peep hole with a mirror, so I could watch them from farther away -- figuring that my scent or my breath or something was bothering them. The moved again. This time into the ceiling space. I was trying to figure out how to install a small camera in the nest but never did. (This was in '94, before cheap webcams were available.)

Then they went on the offensive. One night, about 2:00 am, one of our 2-year-old twin boys woke up screaming. We rushed down to his room to find his hands & face positively covered in carpenter ants. All I could figure was that we had brushed his teeth before bed and the ants were after the toothpaste that was smudged around his lips. After we cleaned him up & swept up the ants, my wife took me aside and hissed, "Tomorrow, your 'pets' get put to sleep."

- Jim Katen, Oregon

• 2 months later...