light switch location

John Dirks Jr

Speaking of stairway lighting, Thursday's inspection of a new construction had a 2nd story hallway adjacent to the stairway with only a 2nd story rail between them. The wall switch for the stairway was in the proper location but the light fixture that was supposed to illuminate the treads and risers was directly over the hallway instead and a shadow was casted over the treads and risers. It was a one-bulb fixture and the indirect illumination available at the bottom of the stairway was very poor.

I've already written it up/sent it off but I was wondering if I made the correct call.

Marc

Speaking of stairway lighting, Thursday's inspection of a new construction had a 2nd story hallway adjacent to the stairway with only a 2nd story rail between them. The wall switch for the stairway was in the proper location but the light fixture that was supposed to illuminate the treads and risers was directly over the hallway instead and a shadow was casted over the treads and risers. It was a one-bulb fixture and the indirect illumination available at the bottom of the stairway was very poor.

I've already written it up/sent it off but I was wondering if I made the correct call.

Marc

IMO, you made a good call. The point of the requirement is, after all, to illuminate the stairway.

Not to criticize your writing (you're better than most), but the word you were looking for is 'cast', instead of 'casted'.

Tim

Marc

The IRC actually specifies the required level of light. It's one footcandle at the center of the tread. (303.6) That's pretty darn dim.

Did you have a candle and a tape measure?

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Not to criticize you writing (you're better than most),

See bold[:-monkeyd

Tim, you are a quick one. I copied and pasted, posted the info., just to come back and find it fixed already......

Yep. And I didn't feel even a little bit stupid when I noticed it. [:-dunce]

Tim

Marc, I'm pretty sure you're a great technician and most of the time I agree with your conclusions and opinions. In this case though, I'm not feeling it. `I struggle to keep my reports at 20 pages or so. If I started mentioning shadowy lighting... I'm not sure where it'd all end up.

Marc, I'm pretty sure you're a great technician and most of the time I agree with your conclusions and opinions. In this case though, I'm not feeling it. `I struggle to keep my reports at 20 pages or so. If I started mentioning shadowy lighting... I'm not sure where it'd all end up.

Dang… that gives me pause because I can't ever remember disagreeing with an opinion you've given on reporting type stuff. But I can see where I could mention a dark (dim?) stairway, foot candle requirement notwithstanding. Never have, but I could see it. (No pun intended.) I guess it would just depend on how dark and how dangerous I perceived it to be at the time.

Your point about wondering where it would all end up is well taken, and something I try to be mindful of. I put a lot of effort into being able to produce references and cites for my findings, but I do occasionally put subjective observations in a report. Is that something you would discourage in all cases?

Tim

In an older home, I'd probably not say much if anything, especially if it's time for a reno anyway. Maybe a passing comment, you could fix that....

Brand new home, it may be a design flaw. The buyer deserves better, so yeah, I'd suggest an upgrade in my report. Sounds like a $20 chain light would fix it, but they could try to get the seller to do it.

John, for me it would go into Electrical, especially since there 3 way switching involved.