Are these acceptable shims/spacers on piers?

nuker

I agree that 3285 does cover more than 4930.3G, but I still do not see where synthetic shims are OK and metal shims are not. This is the section that cover shims http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2008/ ... 85.304.pdf

Hello Scott, I wonder if I could get some clarification on the difference between a shim and a wedge? Because it seems to me that some posters on this thread are confusing the two, or maybe it's just me that's confused.

Marc

• 6 months later...
  • 7 years later...

Steel shims vs wood shims.  The steel shims are going to be harder than any wood.  Conversely, yellow pine is likely to be the most resistant to crushing of any wood used in your house structurally.  So, that kind of negates the steel shims instead of wood.  Throw in the cost and you have a no brainer.  What it really comes down to in either case is the size of the bearing and the associated load.  There is no advantage to exceeding the original bearing size.  Personally, I only use treated yellow pine.  I have been in residential construction for over 40 years.

Edited by ridgernr58