Where in your report would you...

list missing shower rod, towel bars/rings, TP holders, door stops etc.

I buy everything except the stops at the plumbing wholesaler so they fall under the plumbing section BUT the plumber seldom if ever installs them, it's the finish carpenter's job.

Would you report it under:

1. Plumbing - Fixtures

or

2. Interior - Walls

or

3. Somewhere else

I would not report on missing toilet paper holders, shower rods or towel bars. If I had to pick, I would mention it in the bathroom section of the report.

If the door knobs easily hit the walls or windows, or I see damages caused by door knobs I will recommend the installation of door stops within the interior section of my report.

list missing shower rod, towel bars/rings, TP holders, door stops etc.

I buy everything except the stops at the plumbing wholesaler so they fall under the plumbing section BUT the plumber seldom if ever installs them, it's the finish carpenter's job.

Would you report it under:

1. Plumbing - Fixtures

or

2. Interior - Walls

or

3. Somewhere else

About the only thing I might report on are door stops and that would be in new construction.

I would assume if you want to report on items like you have listed that you would do so under the area it falls. Bathroom stuff in X bathroom, etc..

Agreed. I would list it as a side note in the bathrooms section. More as a courtesy to the buyer. I treat the inspection as a chance to tell them what they're buying, including things they may just want to know... not having any bath bars or TP holders is as frustrating as having a room with no overhead light. Which I also call out..."Hey, be ready to buy a lamp."

It definitely isn't required but I can't fault you for wanting to let them know.

That's interesting, I didn't expect NO as an answer.

What I'm getting is that missing door stops are reported, without them the wall could get damaged by the lockset. A good door stop could run you a buck and a half and take a few minutes to install but on the other hand accessories could run you hundreds of dollars depending on quality.

So I have to ask - why mention the dollar stuff and omit the expensive items?

Now, I'm curious to know, what else you guys/gals NOT report?

For example, do you report missing window/door bug screens, a gas clothes dryer, domestic water temperature?

What I'm getting is that missing door stops are reported, without them the wall could get damaged by the lockset. A good door stop could run you a buck and a half and take a few minutes to install but on the other hand accessories could run you hundreds of dollars depending on quality.

For example, do you report missing window/door bug screens, a gas clothes dryer, domestic water temperature?

Door stops - yes

TP dispenser - no

Shower rod - no

Towel bars - no

Window screens - yes

HW temp - used to , not anymore unless I suspect a problem

Marc

Maybe the question should be not be what we might report on outside of our respective SOP's, but how do we decide to report on them at all.

For me it's partly what I discern what clients expect in my area and what my fellow inspectors in my area are reporting on. The emphasis changes depending on a number of factors. In the end for me, it's whether or not it's good advice for that particular client.

I used to bang my head against the wall and agonize over this stuff until I asked Jim Katen for help, and he turned me on to the "good advice" measure.

Chris, Oregon

Ask yourself what it is we are supposed to be doing. Is the job to inspect and create a report about the stuff that's germane to the performance of the home or is it to do an inventory of all of the little nit-nack accessory items in the house so that the buyer's can nickle and dime the seller to death over inconsequential stuff?

I report that kind of stuff and minor cosmetic flaws on new homes only. It's kind of like buying a brand new car versus a used car; you expect the new car to have every little accessory that's included in the sale and free of dings and scratches; however, if you're buying a used car you expect there to be some dings or scratches and wear and tear present.

If you took a used car to a mechanic to get it checked out, would he report back to you that it was missing it's cup holder and the fuzzy dice that used to hang from the mirror or would he report on the engine, drive train, chassis, electrical system, etc. - the stuff that makes the car work and makes it safe - and ignore the machs nichts stuff?

FTR:

Window screens are considered an option around here.

I wouldn't care if they had a gas or an electric dryer; only whether it's operating from a safe plug and whether the exhaust has a non-corrugated connector and is clear and whether the water supply to it is leak free and it drains properly. A dryer is an accessory, like fuzzy dice on the mirror, not absolutely essential and if it's 366 days old it can stop working at any second and there won't be any warranty on it. If it fails when I'm backing out of the driveway, I'll feel bad for 'em but I'm not assuming responsibility for it.

I report where shutoff valves for gas appliances are; so if it has a gas dryer there would be a notation about the fact that there's a gas shutoff located in the laundry.

Our SOP requires us to note water temperature and advise them somewhere in the report not to exceed 120°.

Clients are perfectly capable of creating their own little punch list of stuff that they see missing or marred, unassisted by us, and then demanding the seller correct it. Even on brand new homes this isn't required - we just do it as a courtesy, but we're not wasting our time dwelling on that kind of thing when there's so much else to be looked at and weighed in a home.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

"Now, I'm curious to know, what else you guys/gals NOT report?

For example, do you report missing window/door bug screens, a gas clothes dryer, domestic water temperature?"

Clothes Dryer - no

Door stops - no, If I did it would be in Interiors

TP dispenser - no

Shower rod - no

Towel bars - no

Window screens - present, not present

HW temp - only if more than 120

. . . Now, I'm curious to know, what else you guys/gals NOT report?

For example, do you report missing window/door bug screens, a gas clothes dryer, domestic water temperature? . . .

A gas clothes dryer: I identify whether there's gas or electric power (or both) provided for the dryer. I look at the vent. If a dryer is part of the transaction, I run it through a cycle.

Water temp: I only used to report on it if it was high. Now that I inspect in the great state of WA, I'm required to report on the temperature and tell people that they could die if it's above 120 degrees.

I figure the rest of the stuff is optional. When I see an anomaly, I think about my customer and ask myself if he's going to want to know about it. If I think he will, I put it in the report. If I don't think he will, I don't. It's a one-off kind of decision. I don't feel the need to make my reports follow a strict template or make them uniform in regard to this kind of stuff. I provide a custom product. I might report on window screens at one house and not at another.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

"Now, I'm curious to know, what else you guys/gals NOT report?

For example, do you report missing window/door bug screens, a gas clothes dryer, domestic water temperature?"

Clothes Dryer - no

Door stops - no, If I did it would be in Interiors

TP dispenser - no

Shower rod - no

Towel bars - no

HW temp - only if more than 120

About same here.

Clothes Dryer - I only report on built-in appliances, so No.

Door stops - Yes

TP dispenser - Only if multiple missing/broken in home. Not one-off.

Shower rod - Yes - I just advise not to use shower without it. Seems like a CYA item to me.

Towel bars - Only if multiple missing/broken in home. Not one-off.

HW temp - only if more than 120.

• 2 weeks later...