We see stupid stuff all day long . . .

Bain

Go back and look again, they're not even GFCI receptacles. Then again I'm not suprised.

That doesn't mean that they are not GFCI protected, of course, I'm just refreshing your memory.

Marc

Yes, but I'm a big fan of putting controls where people actually might be when they need to use them. That means installing GFCI receptacles where they are needed, not GFCI breakers or protecting all the outside power with the GFCI behind the freezer in the garage. Besides, the last time I shopped for GFCI's a breaker was 5 times the cost of a receptacle.

Yes, but I'm a big fan of putting controls where people actually might be when they need to use them. That means installing GFCI receptacles where they are needed, not GFCI breakers or protecting all the outside power with the GFCI behind the freezer in the garage.

Does that mean that if you inspect a home with four exterior receptacles - one on each side with the GFCI protecting them all next to the back entrance - that you write them up because there aren't GFCI receptacles at each?

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

No, but I would mention that it's damned inconvenient to run to the back of the house when the Xmas lights you plug in out front trip the GFCI. Case in point, I once spent the better part of an hour trying to locate the GFCI on a house set up much like your example only to find it burried behind the pedestal sink in the closet sized powder room that no one ever used.

I think when we as inspectors discover design flaws that will make using a home inconvenient we should mention them.

Clients do appreciate it when I tell them the same. But it's always verbal if they're standing there while I just spent 10 minutes figuring out the master bath controls all the bathrooms or something... Never goes in the report.

I started many years ago adding it to my report where the resets are. Once you set it up as part of your boilerplate/formset it's just a couple of clicks here and there.