xtend & step telescopic ladder

qhinspect

Hmmm,

That's odd. If I'm not mistaken, Paul MacLean has had one of those for years and years. Paul, you out there? Is that the same brand?

I used to have a 22ft. extension ladder and a 6ft. step ladder. I stowed those and now have 13ft. and 21ft. Gorilla ladders that I bought at the big orange box. They're L-G knockoffs made in China, and heavy, because they're rated for 300lbs. However, they get me where I want to go most of the time.

I'm thinking about picking up the new 17ft. Costco L-G knockoff too. I used to have the first Costco knockoff, but that was chintzy and made with stamped, riveted-steel hinges. It didn't even compare to the 17ft. one they have now, which is essentially an in-between sized version of the Gorilla ladders.

The 17 footer will be nice for those in-between heights, so I don't have to struggle with the 21 footer, which can feel pretty unwieldy sometimes. There've been times when I've wished for a 26 footer, but I don't know that I want to have to battle one that long.

Still, they do compact nicely and nest very nicely one on top of the other in the back of my Baja.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

When it came to my telestep ladder, there must have been some dirt or a bearing went bad. When I tried to open it one day, one of the steps was frozen and wouldn't open. I loved using it in houses going into the attic. I was just wandering about the Xtend & climb ladder.

I have the cosco ladder and happy with it. I have the 17 footer and use it on 90% of the houses in this area. If I used it everyday, all day; I would buy the Little Giant. For what I use it for, I think cosco ladder is strong enouph and works great. Just my 2 cents.

I just bought the Xtend & Climb last week at Ace. It will take some time using it to trust the thing. I think I bought it just for the novelty, and the price was right. Acually, I doubt it will get much use at all unless my LG wears out, and the LG is still going strong after 10,000 inspections.

The X & C locking mechanism is not too impressive, probably because it is made in China. The Telesteps is made somewhere like Switzerland. I can see that if the ladder gets dirty, it probably won't work correctly, so I am keeeping it wrapped in plastic in my vehicle.

Hey Guys,

FWIW, I'd never buy or use a ladder I didn't trust 100%. Inspecting roofs, chimneys, and attics just isn't worth a fall. Like autombobile tires and brakes, it's one of those items that isn't worth trying to save money on.

I spent about $1000 replacing all my ladders this summer which seems like a lot of money until you go out shopping for wheelchairs.

Originally posted by Jim Morrison

FWIW, I'd never buy or use a ladder I didn't trust 100%.

Where's your sense of adventure Jimmy? Just think of it as sort of like dating...no guarantees, but if you get lucky it might be a beautiful thing.

Inspecting roofs, chimneys, and attics just isn't worth a fall. Like autombobile tires and brakes, it's one of those items that isn't worth trying to save money on.

Hah! Spoken like a high-dollar Boston inspector. When you're po (can't afford the other 2 letters), there's nothing generic you won't at least consider. "Gee Doc, doesn't Wal Mart or somebody have a Chinese knock-off of that heart valve I need?"

Seriously though, I bought an X&C months ago. I haven't had any problems with it other than a few educational hand pinches, but I only use it here and there. I actually don't trust it 100% yet, but we have a lot of old houses around here with scuttle hole accesses in narrow closets. Nothing else works worth a damn for those.

Brian G.

Wildman, Living on the Ragged Edge [:-dopey]

Mike said, "That's odd. If I'm not mistaken, Paul MacLean has had one of those for years and years. Paul, you out there? Is that the same brand?"

Yeah, Mike. I'm hanging in out here.

I bought my "Amazing Telescopic Ladder" from CSS Inc. in Birmingham, MI in August, 1996. I use it almost daily. I learned quickly that I had to keep it clean and that it requires regular maintenence.

The instructions said to use "lemon oil based dusting/cleaning spray". That didn't work worth a sh*t.

I started using WD 40. The WD 40 is messy, acumulates aluminum dust on the sides and makes your hands black. (So, don't hold onto the sides.) The WD 40 also eventually deteriorated the nylon (?) guides that keep the sections from pulling apart. Today most sections of my ladder will pull completely apart. And occasionally the bottom section sticks and I have to get rough with it. Once it was so stuck I used an automotive jack to pull it apart. But when cleaned up, it still works fine.

I have less problems in warm weather than in cool weather.

The ladder's convenience over-shadows the difficulties and I frequently tell clients it's the best tool I ever bought. I can't imagine doing inspections without it.

A few months ago, I decided it was time to get a new Telesteps ladder. I ordered one through Amazon.com. I got a notice that there were delivery problems and thought "screw it". I going to stick with the ladder I have as long as I can make it work.

Originally posted by Jim Morrison

Hey Guys,

FWIW, I'd never buy or use a ladder I didn't trust 100%. Inspecting roofs, chimneys, and attics just isn't worth a fall. Like autombobile tires and brakes, it's one of those items that isn't worth trying to save money on.

I spent about $1000 replacing all my ladders this summer which seems like a lot of money until you go out shopping for wheelchairs.

Disc fusion surgery, from humpin' around those heavy ass big ladders, is pretty expensive too! So is paying for that Ming vase that yuo took out with the that big ol' extention ladder.

I love my extend a climb, and i've said it before, even if I have to replace it every 6 months, it's still the best tool I carry!

• 6 months later...

Now that 6 months has passed since the last post on this thread, I would appreciate an update of your experiences with telescopic ladders.

I'm growing tired of lugging a 20' extension ladder into buildings to get above 9' ceilings and dragging it up onto addition roofs to get to the top of mansard roofs.

Which is better, Xtend & Climb or Telesteps?

We used both sizes of telesteps from Sweden. New ones are ten times better than the old ones. We buy them at Menards and Tool Experts-same prices. We also carry a six and a four foot folding step. In combination we can go and carry another one nearly everywhere. Can't count the number of times I have used my explorer back bumper for added height. Oldest one we have is the one I use and it is 7yrs old. Not cold weather friendly and clean them with Pledge. If I were Scott or Brian G's size, I would reconsider them.

The brand of the ladder is 'Cosco' and it's sold at 'Costco' hence the confusion. I've used the 17' for the last few years and it's rock solid and inexpensive. I gave up on the Telesteps that I bought at Sears Hardware after I started having nightmares about it sliding shut while I was on the top and catching a precious part of my anatomy in it's jaws. For the last several months of use it was only locking in on one side. It got to be a little like climbing a big automobile antenna. The convenience factor of the telescoping ladder is undeniable and it's probably my next capital expenditure.

Originally posted by chrisprickett

I was gonna say "hair".

Ding-Ding-Ding! Give that man a cookie! The forehead's a fivehead these days, but you should see the pile under the chair when I get this mop cut. I'm gonna start paying for the cuts with that money you sent me. [;)]

Brian G.

Hair Factory on Feet [:-mohawk]

• 8 years later...