Washing Machine Hoses

Konrad

Any of you ever hear of a hose failing on a washing machine, and thus causing a flood in the house? I have a mechanical engineer who swears by ss burstproof hoses.

Is there validity to this, or is he paranoid? [:-crazy]

I've never heard of such a thing.

But I suppose anything is possible, considering OUR flood on Halloween. [:-paperba

Originally posted by Konrad

Any of you ever hear of a hose failing on a washing machine, and thus causing a flood in the house? I have a mechanical engineer who swears by ss burstproof hoses.

Is there validity to this, or is he paranoid? [:-crazy]

I've never heard of such a thing.

But I suppose anything is possible, considering OUR flood on Halloween. [:-paperba

Jeez, yes. Rubber washer hoses only burst rarely, but when they do, people tend to remember the event.

I've seen two in the past year with "aneurisms". When I pointed them out, the owners turned white.

I've heard good things about the steel braided hoses. But, you know, my own washer just has regulation rubber ones. I do glance at them every so often though.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Many people have their own stories about washer hoses. Our hot water hose burst right near the valve and my wife couldn't turn it off without scalding. I never showed her where the main shut off is, but I show every client.

I tell all my clients to install braided ss hoses and add: "most SS are guaranteed not to leak for 10 years. The rubber ones are guaranteed to leak when your away on vacation!"

Originally posted by inspecthistoric

Many people have their own stories about washer hoses. Our hot water hose burst right near the valve and my wife couldn't turn it off without scalding. I never showed her where the main shut off is, but I show every client.

I tell all my clients to install braided ss hoses and add: "most SS are guaranteed not to leak for 10 years. The rubber ones are guaranteed to leak when your away on vacation!"

My experience exactly. I had a rubber one burst on me 25 years ago and it flooded the entire first floor. I have also seen the "aneurysms" Jim mentioned. I always recommend the braided hoses (verbally, not in my report) to clients. It's about the cheapest insurance you can buy.

The Watts Intelliflow automatic shutoff valve is a good choice to avoid this disaster. It shuts off the water after the washing machine turns off and has an optional floor sensor if there is a leak mid-cycle. More reliable than the wife.

My father owned an appliance repair business; the burst hose is more common than you might think.

Over the last 22 years I have been in at least a dozen houses that have signs of a past mjor flood and there are no signs of water problems from the exterior. Almost every time the owner tells the story of the broken washer hose.

I am sure that this does not happen to anyone twice because it is a horrible experience.

I recommend that my clients upgrade their shut-off controls to the level controls or one of the new automatic shut-off devices. Stainless steel braided hoses are also a good upgrade.

If you read most washer owner's manuals they recommend turning the water valves off when the washer is not in use.

I report it as a defect if the washer water shut-off controls are not easily accessible.

I live in an area that is becoming "yuppieville" with at least at least twenty houses in every cornfield. The new houses have public water run to them, so the older ones hook-up to the system and abandon their wells. Burst washer hoses are quite common after the switch to public water. Myself, I have stainless steel braided wrapped with duct tape.