Got A New Box

but you DO have to wonder why Apple would create a web device that doesn't work with lots of sites.

No you don't. There's specific reasons, all having to do with controlling the medium. Apple's control freakiness is one of the reasons all their stuff works.

On one hand, no flash sucks. On another hand, how many times have other people had stuff hang up with varying versions of Flash?

I've had it happen a lot. Most of the time, I shut flash off. It's another MS hairball pain in the ass AFAIC.

I'm being told HTML 5 will replace flash, but I doubt it.

but you DO have to wonder why Apple would create a web device that doesn't work with lots of sites.

No you don't. There's specific reasons, all having to do with controlling the medium. Apple's control freakiness is one of the reasons all their stuff works.

On one hand, no flash sucks. On another hand, how many times have other people had stuff hang up with varying versions of Flash?

I've had it happen a lot. Most of the time, I shut flash off. It's another MS hairball pain in the ass AFAIC.

Flash may be a pain in the keester, but sites that use it are so pervasive, one almost has to have it. Apparently, lots of merchandise order-forms use flash, and they're unusable with the iPad. Heck, my own site uses flash so that the lovely and gracious Sarah Jane can tell you how wonderful I am. No flash=no Sarah Jane. Doom, despair, and misery.

If IBM & Microsoft combined couldn't kill Apple, than nothing can. After the global nuclear holocaust, there will be little else but cockroaches ravaging our corpses and emailing each other on Macbook Pro's.

Flash sucks. It may impress webheads, but consumers hate it. It angries up our blood and more often than not, we turn it off ASAP. Don't you?

I kind of agree. Flash is not a game changer. It's a pain in the ass. iPad and Apple toys are consistent game changers.

It isn't all going to go away, but.......it hasn't held me up a teeny tiny. I think most folks still don't get the iPad...I didn't at first.

Its' the first real break from the desktop and the idea of suites of software, i.e., shudder........Microsoft Office.

I'm getting it more now. I'm not going to proselytize too much about it.

There's folks in the Zune camp, and those in the iPod camp. I'm iPod.

To users of Word 2010, why not uninstall and install the old version, such as I have with MS Office XP?

Yep. I'm still using Word 2003 (Office XP) on my office computer. I recently bought a Windows 7 laptop so I could work on the boat. It didn't come with Office so I installed the old Office XP programs from the original CD. Works great and I don't have to deal with Word 2010 issues...whatever those are.

Hi,

So far, I haven't experienced any issues. When I click on one of those Word 2003 reports the report displays properly, edits properly and everything works fine. The only difference is a comment in parenthesis at the file name that says it's running in Word 2003 compatibility mode and it does that all automatically. I've noticed that there are settings in the word program that appear to allow you to change the default word program to an earlier version. I haven't dinked around with that.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

P.S.

Just downloaded Inspect Express V4 - Wow, the elves at DevWave have sure been busy since the last time I downloaded any updates 5 - 6 years ago. Very impressive. There is so much new stuff in the program that learning it all at once, versus having learned it gradually over the past 5 - 6 years - is going to take me some time. I'll probably cheat and overwrite old reports until I've figured out what all the new buttons and icons are for.

I use syncplicity:

http://www.syncplicity.com/

which not only provides a backup on their servers but allows me to keep several PCs in sync - I can start a report at a coffee shop with a WiFi connection, seamlessly finish it on my office PC, and have it constantly updating to my backup office PC so that if the primary PC goes down I can finish on the backup.

I also have an arrangement with a client in a suburb about 25 miles where we use Syncplicity to mirror each others data to a PC in our respective offices - if either of or offices burns down or there is an extended power outage, we can work immediately on the PC in the other office to keep our businesses up and running.

In addition, I also use Genie Timeline locally, so that I have the ability to quickly restore previous versions of my data.

So for around $250 a year I have a "Corporate Level" disaster recovery plan, complete with a off0-site "Shadow Data Center".