Brand preference for new equipment?

AHI in AR

Hi guys--

I am looking at buying an eight unit apartment building which is solid structurally, but it needs all new HVAC equipment. The two proposals -- and companies -- which look the best right now are proposing different brands of equipment. One is touting Luxaire; the other is wanting to install Rheem. I must admit that I am more comfortable with Rheem than I am Luxaire. However, I have never sold, serviced or installed equipment, and I don't have a strong point of reference. Just a gut feeling. I believe firmly that older Rheem equipment is decidedly better than older Luxaire equipment, but I don't know if the Luxaire stuff has improved in quality in recent years. Anybody out there with any real world experience with newer equipment have an opinion?

Thanks for any replies.

If it's for your home, you care about the equipment and you plan on living there for a decade or so then Trane and Carrier in that order.

If it's investment property, you have no idea on how long you'll hang on to it and saving every nickle counts, Goodman, Armstrong or Janitrol. If you're feeling magnanimous then Ducane (or a reasonable facsimile).

While this is rental property, I am buying for the long term. It's a pattern. In fact, my grandfather built a small complex in 1950 which is still owned by the family.

I'm not interested in Goodman or Janitrol, and Armstrong is not sold around here. I think that's why I am leery of Luxaire -- rightly or not, I associate it with companies such as Goodman and Janitrol.

Since Goodman (and their upper level Amana) was taken back "private" they have made extraordinary strides in quality.

I've been through their factory in Houston twice and was very impressed.

In fact I had to replace my complete HVAC system last fall and I went with an Amana. Best warranty, best price from all the quotes I received.

On the other side ... there are also many other good systems out there.

My HVAC guy likes Tempstar. Just put a 2 ton r410A Tempstar split unit in my house. It comes with a 10 year parts warranty. He swears by them. I've seen a lot of really old Rheem units and always heard they were a good company/product. Luxair? I’ve never heard of them. I would make sure the new equipment is r410a and not r22 since the r22 equipment is no longer in production as of 2010.

Kiel

My HVAC guy likes Tempstar. Just put a 2 ton r410A Tempstar split unit in my house. It comes with a 10 year parts warranty. He swears by them. I've seen a lot of really old Rheem units and always heard they were a good company/product. Luxair? I’ve never heard of them. I would make sure the new equipment is r410a and not r22 since the r22 equipment is no longer in production as of 2010.

Kiel

Luxaire is a lower priced York brand. Presumably de-contented, but I don't know for sure.

Hi guys--

I am looking at buying an eight unit apartment building which is solid structurally, but it needs all new HVAC equipment. The two proposals -- and companies -- which look the best right now are proposing different brands of equipment. One is touting Luxaire; the other is wanting to install Rheem. I must admit that I am more comfortable with Rheem than I am Luxaire. However, I have never sold, serviced or installed equipment, and I don't have a strong point of reference. Just a gut feeling. I believe firmly that older Rheem equipment is decidedly better than older Luxaire equipment, but I don't know if the Luxaire stuff has improved in quality in recent years. Anybody out there with any real world experience with newer equipment have an opinion?

Thanks for any replies.

If the choice were between Rheem & Luxaire, I'd go with Rheem in a heartbeat.

With the exception of problems with some plastic draft inducers in the '90s, Rheem & Ruud have made rock solid equipment for a very long time.

York & Luxaire seem to be ok equipment, but it seems like every time I inspect one, there's some kind of problem with it.

If you're talking about AC units or Heat Pumps, the difference is even more pronounced. Rheem's outdoor unit cabinets are some of the nicest in the industry. They provide very good protection at the coils & the paint really lasts well. The York outdoor units on the other hand look like they're 20 years old after only a few years. I've found them rusting out after 5 years.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Since Goodman (and their upper level Amana) was taken back "private" they have made extraordinary strides in quality.

I've been through their factory in Houston twice and was very impressed.

In fact I had to replace my complete HVAC system last fall and I went with an Amana. Best warranty, best price from all the quotes I received.

On the other side ... there are also many other good systems out there.

Even the newer Goodman stuff I see here would be considered entry level/contractor specials.

I sold Rheem for over 20 years. Installed one on my own house 3 years ago. It's not touted much, it's a simple unit that lasts long, performs well and is easy to fix. When I worked HVAC, I serviced all brands. Trane & Carrier commercial (over 10 tons) are both nice, they live up to their reputation. Trane & Carrier residential/light commercial (up to 5 tons) make me nauseous, elevates my blood pressure and is responsible for much of my developed vocabulary in curse words.

Luxaire hasn't troubled me none.

Marc

I see equipment from the off brands beside the big boys all the time. Stick with the tried and true big boys. It may take 8 years for you to notice the difference in the common wear and tear but take my word for it, it will start to show.

When I hear "They have made recent strides" all I really hear is "Their current equipment has not stood the test of time yet"