Worst termite infestation I've ever seen.

Richmond, is historically a haven for termites. It's not a matter of "if" they ever show up, but rather "when" they show up...

This is, by far and away, the worst wood boring insect infestation I've ever seen. Every foundation wall has tubes on it about every three to four feet (probably sixty tubes in all). Most of the tubes have made it to the sill plate and beyond to the header joist and sub-floor. There were piles of tubes in the center of the crawl, which had me puzzled until I realized they were vertical tubes that had fallen over time after time. The tubes to the center beam are more akin to super highways. Tubes hang down from the center-beam as well.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2010108152532_DSCN1056.jpg

84.53 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2010108152421_DSCN1049.jpg

48.17 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2010108152446_DSCN1052.jpg

62.16 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2010108152638_DSCN1058.jpg

75.48 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2010108152737_DSCN1059.jpg

77.65 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2010108152836_DSCN1062.jpg

76.16 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2010108152913_DSCN1069.jpg

109.38 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2010108153137_DSCN1071.jpg

47.42 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2010108153216_DSCN1073.jpg

112.53 KB

Hi,

Well, it's no wonder you've got a sub infestation; you've got a serious poria (brown rot) infestation there. The termites can't eat healthy wood and poria is about as sick as it can get. That girder has to go.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Yeah, this crawl space is a complete train wreck - destined to become a sealed and conditioned space, after the replacement of many yards of sill plate and header joist (including the one the deck is hung on). And, the deck will probably become free standing.

I think the buyers will most likely walk.

I've seen live termites in live wood (trees, large bushes) plenty of times.

That goes against my understanding of subterranean termites. They are considered beneficial insects in asia because they eat only dead trees. As for rotted wood, it's softer and sub termites prefer softer woods. That's why they eat mostly between the growth rings of the tree which are harder. They eat passages thru the rings only to gain access to the next layer.

Marc

Wow. I just puked a little bit in the back of my throat while looking at those pictures.

Two thoughts came to mind, as I navigated this crawlspace:

1. The seller can't possibly imagine or be adequately prepared for the bomb I'm about to drop.

2. How can a guy do things like:

- build a detached nice garage

- buy a beautiful top of the line john boat

- buy a lovely yellow loaded mustang

- buy a chromed to the max Harley Davidson

- replace all the windows

- add vinyl siding

and yet never ever look in his crawlspace over the course of eight years?

[:-bigeyes

The termites can't eat healthy wood and poria is about as sick as it can get.

I've seen live termites in live wood (trees, large bushes) plenty of times.

I've never seen them eating living trees in MA, but in Kenya & in Mexico I saw them eating the bark on a live tree, though not the wood. 2 1/2 weeks in the Kenyan bush and I never once saw a stick on the ground that wasn't positively consumed by termites. Mounds as large as a small car all over. It's no wonder that the Earth's termites outweigh the Earth's humans.

In one new home in Vallarta, I found live termites in a roof rafter six stories up, but I think they were drywood termites.

I've never seen termites eating decaying wood.

That is what I would describe a a "pusher". Easier to push the whole thing down and start over than to salvage that one.

Looks like lots of moisture in that crawl, is that common in that part of the world?

We have a fairly high water-table, so moisture, fungal growth, wood decay and termites are all issues here in both basements and crawl spaces. Most builders here won't build homes on basements, and a lot of the old homes on basements do leak.

My crawlspace the other day wasn't as bad as yours, but this was the first time I ever saw hanging termite tubes this long in Maryland. At least 10 joists were damaged severely, several more had damage, and there was a whole lot of non-termite stuff wrong here.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2010101783752_DSCN9883.jpg

62.21 KB

My crawlspace the other day wasn't as bad as yours, but this was the first time I ever saw hanging termite tubes this long in Maryland. At least 10 joists were damaged severely, several more had damage, and there was a whole lot of non-termite stuff wrong here.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2010101783752_DSCN9883.jpg

62.21 KB

So did you have to crawl uphill or downhill in there?

• 10 months later...

That is what I would describe a a "pusher". Easier to push the whole thing down and start over than to salvage that one.

Looks like lots of moisture in that crawl, is that common in that part of the world?

We have a fairly high water-table, so moisture, fungal growth, wood decay and termites are all issues here in both basements and crawl spaces. Most builders here won't build homes on basements, and a lot of the old homes on basements do leak.

Are there any mold issues to go along with the termites? With a lot of moisture it wouldnt surprise me which is why i was asking.

Now Mr. Snell Experts,

You know the very well what the answer to that is. Either get in and contribute to the dialog or stay off. We don't appreciate someone coming on here and pretending to contribute to the dialog for the purpose of dropping their link.

Mike

Apologies if you thought I was just trying to "drop a link." I actually don't know that much about termites and didn't know if termites could live in an area with mold or not which is why I asked. Besides, if I just wanted to drop a link, I could pay someone else a bit of cash to do 1000's of them for me instead of taking time to do a few posts here and there. I know now not to ask questions on this forum though, so I appreciate you pointing me in the right direction.