Attaching PVC into cast iron

asihi

I have a quick question. I did a vacant house today where a section of 3" cast iron sewer pipe was replaced with PVC. Instead of using any kind of connector, the plumber leaded the PVC into the cast iron hub. I've never seen this before. I would think with the expansion and contraction of the PVC, the lead wouldn't hold very well. Is this allowed and will this work? Thanks for your help.

Tony

Click to Enlarge
tn_20101021183949_PVC%20into%20cast.jpg

32.51 KB

I have a quick question. I did a vacant house today where a section of 3" cast iron sewer pipe was replaced with PVC. Instead of using any kind of connector, the plumber leaded the PVC into the cast iron hub. I've never seen this before. I would think with the expansion and contraction of the PVC, the lead wouldn't hold very well. Is this allowed and will this work? Thanks for your help.

Tony

I've seen it before and it seems to work fine.

However, there's a much easier way. Fernco makes a special rubber donut just for that purpose.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Another thing to ponder is that the PVC manufacturer most likely does not approve the use of lead to join PVC to anything. I would think that the heat that would be required to melt the lead would make the PVC under the lead brittle. I know that PVC does become brittle when it is exposed to heat, like when folks heat it to make a bend in the pipe.

Another thing to ponder is that the PVC manufacturer most likely does not approve the use of lead to join PVC to anything. I would think that the heat that would be required to melt the lead would make the PVC under the lead brittle. I know that PVC does become brittle when it is exposed to heat, like when folks heat it to make a bend in the pipe.

Why? Odds are that lead is a significant component in the PVC.

I recommend you contact the PVC pipe manufacturer and get their offical statement regarding the connection. Most of PVC in my area is made by Charlotte Pipe. Stamped all over the pipe.

My guess is they would not approve of the connection. Only way to know for sure is ask the pipe manuf.

This is what the IRC has to say about it...

P2904.17.2 Plastic pipe or tubing to other piping material.

Joints between different grades of plastic pipe or

between plastic pipe and other piping material shall be made

with an approved adapter fitting. Joints between plastic pipe

and cast-iron hub pipe shall be made by a caulked joint or a

mechanical compression joint.

This is what the IRC has to say about it...

P2904.17.2 Plastic pipe or tubing to other piping material.

Joints between different grades of plastic pipe or

between plastic pipe and other piping material shall be made

with an approved adapter fitting. Joints between plastic pipe

and cast-iron hub pipe shall be made by a caulked joint or a

mechanical compression joint.

In the world of plumbing, "Caulked joint" means lead.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

In the world of plumbing, "Caulked joint" means lead.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

What is a CI/PVC joint sealed with plumbers epoxy called?

Marc

I don't know. I've never seen it done. In my area, people use plumbers epoxy for everthing except plumbing.

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be called a caulked joint as well, though.

-Jim Katen, Oregon

• 2 weeks later...