Really Makes Me Wonder / Worry About My Fellow Man

Mark P

Yikes!

Sorry for being a smartass, but if the breaker was switched off first, it could be removed safely. But I see why you would not want to tamper with it. It's a crime scene! [:)]

Funny John & True. I guess if I had any intention of removing the thing I would have thought of a safe way to do it, but I just wanted to put it in the report - kinda cool.

Yet another reason why bonding the panel enclosure is important, and why I always touch panels with the back of my hand before opening the cover.

Why the back of your hand?

Marc

Because the current will cause your muscles to contract. If the back of your hand is on the panel, the contraction of your bicep muscle will pull your hand towards you, and off of the panel. Or so it is said.

For me it's voltage sniffer 1st, back of hand on panel 2nd.

Yet another reason why bonding the panel enclosure is important, and why I always touch panels with the back of my hand before opening the cover.

Marc

Because the current will cause your muscles to contract. If the back of your hand is on the panel, the contraction of your bicep muscle will pull your hand towards you, and off of the panel. Or so it is said.

Sounds bogus. The current doesn't know whether it's going through the biceps muscles or the opposing triceps muscle group. It shocks everything between the point of contact and the ground, provided that your body is grounded somewhere.

Perhaps there is some other reason why someone said that.

Marc

Marc

Sounds bogus. The current doesn't know whether it's going through the biceps muscles or the opposing triceps muscle group. It shocks everything between the point of contact and the ground, provided that your body is grounded somewhere.

Perhaps there is some other reason why someone said that.

Marc

Because as mentioned, muscle contraction. If you grab live electrical, it tends to make your fingers clinch. If it's a ring on the door your pulling on, you can't let go. If it's the edge of the door, you essentially grip it like a sandwich and can't open your fingers to let go. You can pull the back of your hand away if you feel a shock.

I'm also a full time firefighter. The reason for the back of the hand on this is a different one than why we do it on doors in building fires. However even killing power in structure fires, I use the back of my hand on the panels before opening them, and also do it on company fire inspections prior to opening the panel door.