Upgrading 3D software

OK, have been using 3D since 2002, and never upgraded software. Worked for last 2 computers, now bought a new one running Windows 7, and it won't setup on there. Looking at the site, my version isn't compatible with 7 (DOH!). It really bugs me to spend $1100 to by software, which is way more than I spent on the computer.

Anyway, will likely do it and have a couple questions:

• Can anyone tell me if all my custom form sets will automatically work with the new version of 3D? I certainly don't want to have to re-type all my forms, or the auto posting to Summary sections.

• Also, anyone know of any coupon codes to reduce the price at all?

Couldn't get it to work with the compatibility wizard in Windows. Will either be shelling out the dough or setting up my old computer for my existing 3D, which will be a pain trying to leave 2 computers up. Thanks in advance. Kevin

Time marches on...

I always shell out the 100.00 clams a year to stay current with 3D. If you haven't upgraded since 2002 you don't know what you're missing - 3D has come a long way. You must still be on version 7 I'm guessing?

If you have an original XP cd you can always reformat and install XP - that is assuming that your new computer has downloadable drivers that are XP compatible.

I was in your shoes a couple years ago with 3d and my new Windows Vista. I ended up spending a lot just to get my 3d working again. But since then, I've read some sample reports offered up by some of the top inspectors on this forum and some of the reporting features that I've seen and was attracted to, could not be duplicated with my current edition of 3d. If I had to update my 3d again, I'd likely switch to InspectExpress instead. It's compatible with Windows 7 and works with a pocket computer, just like 3d. It's also capable of producing the features that I like. I don't know if my 3d boilerplate can be migrated to it. That would be a critical consideration before I'd switch. You can also try it out free and it's less expensive to purchase.

Each to his own.

Marc

I quit purchasing the "upgrades" a few years back. I won't kick a dead horse but I can say my Nerd got version to run on windows 7 in the virtual mode. The last time I upgraded (started with version 6 if I remember) everything still transferred to the new version OK.

I'm holding my breath and waiting for Dominic to build a migration tool for my boilerplate. Then I'll happily chunk 3D.

OK, have been using 3D since 2002, and never upgraded software. Worked for last 2 computers, now bought a new one running Windows 7, and it won't setup on there. Looking at the site, my version isn't compatible with 7 (DOH!). It really bugs me to spend $1100 to by software, which is way more than I spent on the computer.

• Can anyone tell me if all my custom form sets will automatically work with the new version of 3D? I certainly don't want to have to re-type all my forms, or the auto posting to Summary sections.

Couldn't get it to work with the compatibility wizard in Windows. Will either be shelling out the dough or setting up my old computer for my existing 3D, which will be a pain trying to leave 2 computers up. Thanks in advance. Kevin

Turn off Windows 7 UAC and the old version will probably still run fine.

Michael Brown

Michael Brown

Good point. Also try right clicking on the 3D icon, on the desktop, and choose "Run As Administrator" which I think bypasses UAC.

Michael Brown

Good point. Also try right clicking on the 3D icon, on the desktop, and choose "Run As Administrator" which I think bypasses UAC.

I can't even get it to load on the computer with Windows 7, setup says it's not compatible. What is the UAC?

If your not using laptops, the simplest way to accomplish that is to pull the hard drive and cable from your old machine and put in in the new machine. If your mother board sees two 'primary' drives it will ask you which one you would like to use every time you boot up. Essentially you get both your new and old machines in one box.

If your not using laptops, the simplest way to accomplish that is to pull the hard drive and cable from your old machine and put in in the new machine. If your mother board sees two 'primary' drives it will ask you which one you would like to use every time you boot up. Essentially you get both your new and old machines in one box.

Not true. I've been building computers since the 80's. I just put together a i7 quad core 920 machine with a few older hard drives I had laying around. I built it primarily because the Nikon Capture NX2 software is a real hog - but very good.

You really want a new hard drive to be built from ground up. You can then configure it to be a dual boot system if need be.

Well downloaded the trial of the new 3D, and my form sets aren't showing up when I try to load them. My old version is 4. It opens old reports and converts them, but can't figure out how to open my old form sets to try the new version. Looks like I'll be calling 3D. Thanks again for all the input. Kevin