Smoke test on duct system

Marc

A dispute has arisen between my wife and the landlord of her office condo regarding a half cooked repair of the HVAC duct system. I intend to get visual evidence of a large leak at the repair site by attaching a box fan to the air return grille and situating a smoke generator at the suction side. I'll seal off all supply registers and take a movie of the smoke exiting the repair area.

Does anyone know a convenient source of smoke that I can use indoors at the box fan suction? Too bad it isn't closer to the holidays.

Thanks in advance.

Marc

Hey Marc,

Walmart for $24.99. A fog machine with several flavors of smoke/fog. I have used one for several years for various reasons. (getting into movies free, avoiding pat downs at airport, etc)

I have a small smoke dragon, Zero Toy Company, that I use in the field.

HUD inspectors have actual smoke that will set off smoke detectors in an airosol (sp?) can.

Might not be good thing to do but 3 dollars for a 5 minute smoke grenade at a firework stand...

That stuff will also screw up a smoke alarm. It is really not smoke, it just looks like an aerosol. Anyone can buy it, I have even seen it sold at Lowe's and HD.

Might not be good thing to do but 3 dollars for a 5 minute smoke grenade at a firework stand...

I was working full time for a local hospital, in the maintenance department, and going to night school at the West Side Institute of Technology to learn HVAC. After finishing the heating part of the school I volunteered to check out my brothers counter-flow furnace. As part of the free check-up I lit a 5 minute smoke bomb off and tossed it in the furnace to check the heat exchanger for leaks. After about 45 seconds there was so much smoke in the home we all had to vacate the premises. There we are, my brother, his wife and 3 kids, standing on the tree lawn watching smoke pour out of his home - in the winter. After we were able to get back into the home we had found the their pet Hamster (or Gerbil) and Parakeet weren't so lucky.

His wife was pretty pissed.

I was working full time for a local hospital, in the maintenance department, and going to night school at the West Side Institute of Technology to learn HVAC. After finishing the heating part of the school I volunteered to check out my brothers counter-flow furnace. As part of the free check-up I lit a 5 minute smoke bomb off and tossed it in the furnace to check the heat exchanger for leaks. After about 45 seconds there was so much smoke in the home we all had to vacate the premises. There we are, my brother, his wife and 3 kids, standing on the tree lawn watching smoke pour out of his home - in the winter. After we were able to get back into the home we had found the their pet Hamster (or Gerbil) and Parakeet weren't so lucky.

Good times.

Thanks for the warning.

Marc