A first for me

Saturday mornings inspection, I was coming down the ladder, felt the small of my back start to pull. I mumbled "not now", to no avail. By the time my feet hit ground, my lower back was in full spasm. I tried my hardest to walk it off, just made it worse. Long story short, my client had to take down the ladder and I had to cancel the inspection[:-paperba Frickin embarrassing to say the least. First time in almost 10 years that something like this has ever happened to me. Humbling!

Hi Rob,

Boy, don't I know that feeling. I cancelled a job in mid-February for the same thing. Been living with 4 crushed vertebra and a herniated disc for 40 years. I can't sleep for more than four hours a night or when I wake up it feels like I'd been playing rugby all night.

I keep telling myself that this will be the year that I finally go and get the surgery that I hope will end the pain once and for all; then I never get around to it - mostly 'cuz after seeing it keep Brother Jim laid up for several months from back surgery I know I can't afford to close my company down for that long right now.

Got a cortezone shot some years back. That lasted for quite a while and then wore off. That might work for a good short-term solution if your doc can set it up and get you in quickly. One thing I did for years that worked well was wear a weight lifters belt under my shirt. When I wore battle dress and didn't have a tucked in shirt, nobody knew it was there; but it didn't help when I had to wear a T-shirt or a polo shirt.

My current solution: Five 200mg motrin tablets with a glass of milk before I go out the door for the job in the morning. My doctor told me a month ago that I'm lucky I haven't fried one of my inner organs doing that. When I pointed out that the Army doctors had doled out 1000mg doses of the stuff to me for years on end, he just grumbled something about doctors writing irresponsible prescriptions. I'm going to have to cut back I suppose.

I'd stay away from allowing the doc to prescribe muscle relaxers, the damned things always make me so dopey that I can't remember half of what I'd done that day. You don't want to go up on a roof and then end up getting vertigo or something like that. Try to sleep on your back with your knees propped up and get something to support your lower back when you're sitting at the computer working. Also get something to support your lower back when you are driving. Think about bringing on a helper that can do the interiors and all of that rapid stooping and kneeling. You might not think it would help that much; but my wife Yung does that for us and on days when she can't accompany me I am usually in a lot of pain in the evening, so I know it makes a big difference.

When are you supposed to deploy?

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Did anyone follow that cop series Southland and the pain that training sergeant was going through?

I couldn't sympathize with the character getting hooked on pain killers but the actor did a helluva job simulating exactly how I know I've felt and I know Rob probably felt the other day. It can't all be acting; to have portrayed that so accurately, I'll bet the guy has his own back problems.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

I pulled something in my back while working in mud halfway to my knees long ago when I worked as an oilfield electrician. It's that kind of injury that hurts more and more the longer you sit still. I decided to head for a local dance hall and kept busy with mild dances. The snapps turned out to be a good pain reliever. After several hours of that I couldn't feel any pain at all so I went home and slept great! Next day I show up at work excited that I wouldn't have to miss any more work but the boss was pissed because someone told him they had seen me at the club.

Marc

Thanks guys. The PA did prescribe some muscle relaxers and am taking them while not working. I was lucky to be able to reschedule my inspections for yesterday, today and tomorrow for later in the week. I did lose one due to contract time constraints. I have been trying to walk as much as possible(which isn't much) as when that muscle tightens, it's amazingly painful and causes my right leg to pretty much go out.

Mike, I am reporting to my unit May 2nd. Down range first week of July.

Robert, do you think you may have pulled something lifting the ladder?

My lower back has been fragile for about 20 yrs now, from a heavy lifting injury. I have marks on my extension ladder. Those are the middle rungs, and that is where I grab it every time, so it is balanced. I try not to deviate from the perfect lifting position, like reaching too much.

Anyway, we feel your pain.

Rob try to lay on your back, flat on the floor. And pull your knees to you chest, keeping you tail bone planted. I've had lower back trouble for about 15 yrs now. It got so bad a few years ago, I had to go see my cousin who is a PT. He gave me a few stretching exercises to do, and they really helped. If that doesn't help, Tom's got a pretty good plan too.

Get well soon man.

I pulled something in my back while working in mud halfway to my knees long ago when I worked as an oilfield electrician.

Marc

I did the same thing working on a muddy location at a natural gas well in Oklahoma. All that stress of trying to lift each boot free of the suction of the mud caused a lower back spasm. I was laid up for almost a week.