Split-bus panel

rbaake

Anyone have a way to positively identify a split-bus panel?

I found this GE panel in a condo today and could not determine for sure it it's a split-bus.

Condo built in 1980, which leads me to believe it probably is seeing they were not used in residential construction after 1984.

Also, if it's a split-bus panel, why the punch-out for a main?

Thanks for your help!

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif Box2.jpg

61.24 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif Box1.jpg

63.08 KB

Anyone have a way to positively identify a split-bus panel?

I found this GE panel in a condo today and could not determine for sure it it's a split-bus.

Condo built in 1980, which leads me to believe it probably is seeing they were not used in residential construction after 1984.

Also, if it's a split-bus panel, why the punch-out for a main?

Thanks for your help!

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif Box2.jpg

61.24 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif Box1.jpg

63.08 KB

Did you look at the schematic on the door to the left?

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011422224525_SplitBusSchematic.jpg

16.15 KB

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Mike, I did, but to be totally honest I'm not sure what to look for on the schematic.

For some reason, I tend to think double poled breakers on split-bus panels would be installed at the top of the bus bars. Is that bad information on my part?

I have not seen many of these panels. Any information you have is appreciated.

I'm not sure what the schematic is showing. Any photos of the whole label?

Anyway...I blew up the first photo. I can't see any larger wires coming from a breaker and returning to the panel. The large 30-amp breaker, bottom left appears to be abandoned. The other two sets of breakers with handle ties (30 & 50 amps) looks like they are in use but those wires appear to exit the panel. Based solely on what I can see, I would say that this is not a split-bus panel.

And, if so, something wrong here (aside from the doorbell transformer and the access). The panel either breaks the 6-throw rule if it's service equipment, or it's an improperly wired sub-panel.

Roy...were there remote service disconnects for the condo?

Thanks Richard,

No, all off of one service drop (photo included) supplying seven one bedroom condos.

The breaker you mentioned is not abandoned. It supplies one of two GE Zonelite through-the-wall heat pumps.

I mentioned the six throws, but also said the panel may be a split-bus-verify.

I told her to verify because several other electrical issues were noted.

All the pictures are below.

Again, thanks for the information.

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif Photo 3.jpg

49.92 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif Photo 4.jpg

83.35 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif Service_Drop.jpg

61.87 KB

Bill, I know Pete Wilden would call your split-bus out as a Safety Issue!

Door bell transformers in electrical panels, I'm starting to think they're built in as I see them almost everyday...welcome to the New Jersey shore.

Wildwood NJ, only place I know where the plumbing inspector signs off on electrical inspections.

Somewhere there is a room or cabinet with meters in it. That is where there should be 7 main breakers for the 7 units. That makes your panel a sub panel. In my area at least, the 6 breaker rule does not apply, because there is one main breaker, (which firemen can access to turn off power).

Double taps and missing cable clamps you probably saw.

I have found I get blurry shots from holding the camera too close. Better to increase the resolution, then to get a closeup, crop the pic on the PC.

Somewhere there is a room or cabinet with meters in it. That is where there should be 7 main breakers for the 7 units. That makes your panel a sub panel. In my area at least, the 6 breaker rule does not apply, because there is one main breaker, (which firemen can access to turn off power).

Double taps and missing cable clamps you probably saw.

I have found I get blurry shots from holding the camera too close. Better to increase the resolution, then to get a closeup, crop the pic on the PC.

With my field camera - a 14 megapixel Nikon CoolPix, I find that to photograph in tight, for labels, etc. I have to toggle to "close up" mode - usually the symbol will be tulips or something similar. That, maked it possible to photograph a gnat. [:-thumbu]

• 2 months later...

this is a sub panel not a a split bus the reason for a knock out for a main is with a main breaker kit you can make is a main panel. if you have a split bus you would see normally a 60A breaker below 6 spaces the wires that come from the 60A breaker would go down and be welded to the lower bus. I'm a Oregon Journeyman and have been for 20 year.