Odd shingle failure

Marc

Click to Enlarge
tn_201151181354_009.jpg

112.04 KB

This is an upscale 16 yr old house with laminated shingles, likely 30 year or heavier. I can't figure this failure mode unless it's a manufacturer defect. Seller's getting a little heated over my recommendation to replace it, especially since it looks normal from the ground.

It's a blotchy kind of granule loss with what I think might be hollow cavities behind the surface of the shingle.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201151182235_001.jpg

49.94 KB

Marc

I'd suspect under-ventilation. Huge attics typically do very well, but hip roof systems are notoriously under-ventilated - plenty of soffit ventilation, but not enough ridge or roof vents toward the top. Is there a fan, and is it working?

You might remember last year when I had an attic with a hip roof with temps in the 165 range.

The shingles look like they're getting cooked.

Possibly rash blisters.

Have you considered hail damage, though?

No, but hail occurs less than once per decade here. I've seen it twice since I was a teenager. I'll google rash blisters.

Mike B, this house has several attics. A couple were no longer accessible because of ill conceived DIY 'projects' that converted some portions of attic space into conditioned (or semi-conditioned) space and left the balance of that attic space unaccessible. You may be onto something.

Marc

When I saw the title I was super excited because I racked my brain trying to figure out what would affect only every other shingle. A prime number conspiracist? An OCD roofer compelled to nail only even shingles? Imagine my dismay to discover an ordinary case of IKO disease.

Roof blister/ rash blister. Defect. Around here IKO's are famous for the issue.

With all this talk about blisters I bet this thread comes up in Herpes searches.

Possibly rash blisters.

No, but hail occurs less than once per decade here. I've seen it twice since I was a teenager. I'll google rash blisters.

Mike B, this house has several attics. A couple were no longer accessible because of ill conceived DIY 'projects' that converted some portions of attic space into conditioned (or semi-conditioned) space and left the balance of that attic space unaccessible. You may be onto something.

Marc

Seems like 95% of the attics converted into living space I see always have the insulation stuffed against the sheathing with no gap for air. Plenty of soffit vents, with no where to go.

When I saw the title I was super excited because I racked my brain trying to figure out what would affect only every other shingle. A prime number conspiracist? An OCD roofer compelled to nail only even shingles? Imagine my dismay to discover an ordinary case of IKO disease.

Roof blister/ rash blister. Defect. Around here IKO's are famous for the issue.

With all this talk about blisters I bet this thread comes up in Herpes searches.

Thanks for the info. Nice bedside manner BTW.[;)]

A distributor search at the IKO site yields nothing within a 100 mile distance which is as far as their search function will go. I've never seen a bundle with the IKO name on it. I don't think they've ever been here. Bust this myth.

Marc

Possibly rash blisters.

Marc

Yeah, well converting attic space to finished space without throwing baffles in will fry a roof too. It could always be a materials defect exacerbated by under-ventillation.

It's not limited to IKO. I've seen it happen on Pabco, Malarkey, Certainteed, and GAF. I suspect that every manufacturer turns out a batch now & then.

BTW, I'm not at all convinced that lack of ventilation or stuffing insulation against the underside of a roof makes an appreciable difference to the temperature. Experiments that I've done on my own house bear that out as do the odd experiments done by others.

There are good reasons to ventilate the spaces under roofs, but keeping the shingles cooler isn't one of them.

It's not limited to IKO. I've seen it happen on Pabco, Malarkey, Certainteed, and GAF. I suspect that every manufacturer turns out a batch now & then.

BTW, I'm not at all convinced that lack of ventilation or stuffing insulation against the underside of a roof makes an appreciable difference to the temperature. Experiments that I've done on my own house bear that out as do the odd experiments done by others.

There are good reasons to ventilate the spaces under roofs, but keeping the shingles cooler isn't one of them.

(I realize there's some truth in what you're saying, since they've started applying expandable foam to the backside of roof sheathing. I'm stiill scratching my head on that one...)

I wouldn't go so far as to call it ugly, but the large, plain roof does make it look like a glorified Pizza Hut sign. It needs some details...

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011511195027_colonial.jpg

55.51 KB

Nice work, Richard. I thought I was looking at Marc's pic, then I flipped back to his post. Wow.

You've fixed the attic venting, too.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201151123469_tn_201151182235_001.jpg

3.77 KB