Wiring No Longer in Use

Mike Lamb

That's kind of a surprise considering the number of energized abandoned wires I've found in the past.

Two the other day.

Sure they were energized? Did you check them with a tester or did you detect them with a volt stick?

You have to be careful with a volt stick because it will detect current in dead wires that are running near live wires. I've found it time and again.

Imagine finding an old ham radio antennae in an attic that's simply a loop of wire, knowing that it's completely disconnected from anything else at both ends, but having your volt stick going crazy near it because it's been captured by the field given off by some live wiring somewhere else in the attic.

It's a good idea to always have a secondary means of verifying what gizmos are telling you; it doesn't matter whether it's electrical related, gas related or moisture or whatever - always use a secondary means to verify. It can save you some embarrassment later on.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Yup, I always test them with a volt stick.

You have to be careful with a volt stick because it will detect current in dead wires that are running near live wires. I've found it time and again.

Had that happen too.

It's a good idea to always have a secondary means of verifying what gizmos are telling you; it doesn't matter whether it's electrical related, gas related or moisture or whatever - always use a secondary means to verify. It can save you some embarrassment later on.

Good point. I'd rather be wrong in writing it, than not, though.

Tried to get the realtor to lick the last ones. He wasn't having it.

Our local AHJ has always insisted that abandoned wiring be clipped inside the box as close to the point of entry as physically possible.

Marc

What code reference does he use?

And wouldn't it be better to remove it from the box, rather than leave those clipped ends there? You can't tape it if it's that short.

Click to Enlarge
tn_20117211442_livewire.jpg

50.09 KB

I left my calling card on this one. It could be brought back into service someday, so I said to terminate it in a junction box with a cover. Notice the rat smears on the cable. Maybe they should leave the breaker on. [:)]

Our local AHJ has always insisted that abandoned wiring be clipped inside the box as close to the point of entry as physically possible.

Marc

What code reference does he use?

He didn't elaborate, just gave me a stern look in the face.

Marc

Originally posted by Marc

Marc

He didn't elaborate, just gave me a stern look in the face.

Marc

Around here, the muni inspectors have to provide a citation for the specific code section when they call out a problem.