Self Flashed Windows

Anatol

Fellow Inspectors,

I have a question about windows with built in j channel or self flashing windows. I called these windows as missing J channel. The builder is saying they area properly installed. This is new construction with vinyl siding. All comments are welcome.

Anatol

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011826155049_DSC06626.jpg

37.77 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011826155246_DSC06627.jpg

23.79 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011826155332_DSC06634.jpg

24.32 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011826155645_DSC06652.jpg

30.41 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_20118261606_DSC06653.jpg

36.69 KB

Hi Anatol;

If I am correct about this, a J-Channel is simply a termination point to put the end of the vinyl siding. The windows in the photo have a fairly large channel area where the siding ends, and as long as there is a flashing behind the vinyl at the window, then it becomes a matter of aesthetics. I've called this out a couple of years ago on some new constructs (Ryan Homes) and had two different siding contractors that I respect tell me it's ok. Again, there has to be flashing, but it appears the window in your photo has that feature as a built-in. Charlie

Self-flashing means that if water gets inside the window assembly it will drain out. In other words any decent window is self-flashed otherwise it's garbage. It has nothing to do with whether the installer flashed the window around the framing. You will have to remove the siding to see if the installer actually flashed it.

Charlie has it right. The built-in J-channel around the window is a nice feature and saves the vinyl siding guy time but it has nothing to do with flashing. There's still a flange that has to be nailed and flashed that you can't see.