Is this mold?

I recently took this furniture out of storage and into my new condo.

Have been smelling a musty/wood chips. Could this furniture be the source of the problem?

At first it didn't smell, but could introducing humidity into the environment ( I left the balcony door open on a few nights) cause a small to come out of the furniture? (porous?!?!)

The furniture belonged to my great great grandmother, so it is very old.

M Stanley,

the smell is not unusual for old wood and fabric; furniture. It likely will go away after a time, especially if you open some doors and let it get a little air. Use Fabreeze or diluted cheap fabric softner and spritz. I think your condo is very likely well sealed, so a small source is pretty strong.

Everything has mold/fungus/mildew/spores on it, especially old wood furniture kept in storage.

The upholstery is probably funky too. How freaked out about mold do you want to be?

If you tend to freaking out, immediately burn all the furniture, enroll yourself in a remediation program, and consult with multiple medical professionals regarding possible problems caused by mold.

If not, clean it and enjoy it, and remember grandma with a smile.

Long ago, during a life as a shiftless young lout, I worked as a day laborer furnishing a brand new Ramada Inn. The hapless entrepreneur who had the contract had rented a big open top truck with which to fetch matresses he had warehoused across town, maybe for a little too long, for even tho they were new in plastic wrap, many of the matresses had grown a fine fuzz of some fungal species (or group of such). Phew!

The mold be darned, we loaded the matresses and box springs way high in the truck and proceeded toward Ramada. On the way the best route took us through a low clearance overhead train trestle. Bossman was at the wheel, and he asked me and my buds if it looked like we would make it. We gave the thumbs up and he gunned it.

The behavior of a stack of matresses under an overhead load makes them compress, and as we got centered under the trestle the compression stopped, and we were stuck firmly. If we weren't being paid to be there we would have laughed a lot louder, but as we were paid by the hour, we didn't care how long it took extract enough of them to free the truck.

Sir,

Perhaps you've figured out that there aren't too many folks on this forum that believe in the mold bogeyman. We have good cause to be a little bit skeptical of the whole mold is gonna getcha scene that the media has created over the past decade. Prior to the media turning fungi into the apocalypse about a decade ago, we'd tell folks to eliminate the source of the moisture and clean up the fungal growth with some soap and water and enjoy their homes. Ever since the media started making mountains out of mold spore, we've become jaded.

I've stored furniture in warehouses and have had it come out smelling musty. A couple of times it came out with a fine coating of some kind of fungi. We wiped it down with soapy water, dried it well and the smell went away. I still spend evenings sitting on the same leather sofa and have never gotten sick from that (gasp) mold exposure.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Here is a better shot of the items posted yesterday for those who think its MDF and fiberboard. (that just the cushion for the seats)

I never thought posting here would attract so many harsh replies as I was just looking for some help... geez

Others, thank you for the replies.

regards to all who helped.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201198181627_IMG_20110908_171204.jpg

55.76 KB

army,

I don't know what your definition of harsh is, but, as with any website, your posting exposes you to slings and arrows...you must gird your loins. The photo of the group has no effect on the perception here of unnecessary handwringing. This site typically is not so keen on homeowner queries. I would second Mike O's comment that "mold" has been made a modern myth by mass media, who love to create fear of every kind, so as to better prey on the worriers among us.

Shoot, I thought the guy got excellent advice.

He doesn't realize he's in one of the few places on the internet where the advice is based in real world experience in fields of construction, woodworking, and building science.

I suppose we could have gone the route of most popular news media and pulled up information from other websites. There's gotta be someplace that thinks moldy furniture is a problem.

Here is a better shot of the items posted yesterday for those who think its MDF and fiberboard. (that just the cushion for the seats)

The man's right. It's not MDF. It's genuine particle board. Harder, stronger, and much more painful when you're hit by the little chips while sawing it. The stuff of laminate countertop substrates.

Did you re-cover the seats yourself?