Missing cement

Sorry my picture of the missing concrete came out crappy. I see this every now and then and am curious what the consensus is on reporting it. I sometimes see spots on the foundation stem wall where the concrete(a small section) has broken off, usually where a metal strap is located. I know it's not a structural concern. Do you call it/mention on the report?

Click to Enlarge
tn_201212181353_IMGP7051%20(Medium).jpg

41.57 KB

The crawl had some moisture issues all stemming from the slope of the property. It ran down toward the home and I was shocked to not find water related issues in the garage itself. All kinds of foundation seepage going on and I think it is all related. No drain on either side of that driveway. From what I could tell, the water run off just dumped at the corner where the date on that pic is located.

Marc,

How are they not properly installed? I remember watching a Simpson StrongTie video on the installation of these and that is how they did it.

Simpson's 'High Wind Framing Connection Guide', page 17 has a drawing showing 'MAS Mudsill Anchors' that has the immersed section of the anchor angled away from the edge of the stem wall.

If it's install vertically, the concrete concealing it becomes thin and breaks away like in your photo.

A table below the drawing is titled 'Sill Plate Anchorage for Exterior Walls NOT at Shearwalls'.

It might be a different part number or different application of this type of anchor. This Simpson Strong Tie book is over 2 years old, maybe things have changed.

Marc

From what I can see, I wouldn't say anything.....maybe point it out to the customer to let them know I saw it.

[:-thumbu]

Isn't it a bit odd that it cracked there, with a control joint so close by?

In my experience, including 25 years as a conscientious home builder, I'd say not at all. Concrete has a mind of its own. "Control" joints are just a SUGGESTION some times...

Those aren't mudsill anchors, they're STHD's or something similar. I'm not sure if they're used alot outside of earthquake country but around here, they're very common. Typically, they get installed a bit low and a bit off kilter. After the framing goes up and the framers bend these straps into place, they pop out a small bit of concrete exactly as you can see in Rob's picture.

It's a spectacularly unimportant issue.

As for the crack in the walkway, I'll bet you a dollar that the crack follows the cut that they excavated to place the garage footing. No one compacts fill properly in residential construction.

Those aren't mudsill anchors, they're STHD's or something similar. I'm not sure if they're used alot outside of earthquake country but around here, they're very common. Typically, they get installed a bit low and a bit off kilter. After the framing goes up and the framers bend these straps into place, they pop out a small bit of concrete exactly as you can see in Rob's picture.

It's a spectacularly unimportant issue.

As for the crack in the walkway, I'll bet you a dollar that the crack follows the cut that they excavated to place the garage footing. No one compacts fill properly in residential construction.

Probably right. Builder didn't avail himself of the SM1 'Spall Reduction System' holders. How long I gotta be a member before I score my first error by Jim K?[;)] John B has already racked up 2.

Marc

Without any kind of drainage at the sides of that driveway slab and with it draining toward the garage apron, you've got soup under the slab that's being displaced by the heavy slab and cars parked on top. As it pushes up and out at the sides it tends to crack stuff.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike