boiler critique

I had put something similar out there before but I just edited this one. I know it's a bit long winded but I believe some things are better of explained up front so as to avoid the phone call "whatta ya mean no secondary moisture barrier?"

Here it is on lack of secondary moisture barrier under vinyl siding. Tell me what you think and edit if you think you can say as much or more with fewer words.

There is no secondary moisture barrier beneath the vinyl siding at *** Current building code requires that secondary moisture barriers be used under vinyl siding. Furthermore, siding manufacturers have always recommended that secondary moisture barriers be used as part of best practice installation of their products. The reason is, vinyl siding is not intended to be waterproof. Secondary moisture barriers under siding help shed water and prevent damage to the wood sheathing and other structural components. Because of this, I recommend further investigation by a qualified contractor to determine if water damage exists. Special attention should be paid to areas around windows and doors and other siding penetrations including any deck ledger attachments. If water damage is discovered under the siding, the damaged materials should be replaced. Page 2 of the following document talks about water resistant barriers and their importance has components of vinyl siding systems. To prevent water damage to the buildings materials, you should consider having the siding redone to include a secondary moisture barrier. http://home.comcast.net/~marylandhomein ... nstall.pdf

I was looking for something about boilers. . .

There's a potential for confusion when you use the term, "secondary moisture barrier," and the term doesn't exist in the VSI document that you cite as a reference. I think you should just use the term, "water resistive barrier," because that's the term in the VSI document and in the building code. Alternatively, you could use a colloquial term that might be less imposing and more accessible to the layman like, "waterproof paper." It depends on your writing style.

I'd edit your comment as follows:

There's no water resistive barrier (waterproof paper) beneath the vinyl siding. Water resistive barriers shed water and prevent damage to the wood framing. Siding manufacturers have always recommended such barriers because vinyl siding isn't waterproof. Here's an installation manual from the Vinyl Siding Institute that explains a little more about it. Check out part two: http://home.comcast.net/~maryl...tall.pdf

Consider having the siding reinstalled properly. In the meantime, hire a contractor to do some further investigation to find out if there's any damage to the sheathing and framing under the vinyl. If he finds any, have the damaged parts replaced.

I think you should edit out more than half of what you're saying.

"There's no moisture barrier under the vinyl siding; moisture barriers are required and necessary to prevent water leaks into the building.

There's no way to retrofit a moisture barrier without removing all the siding and starting over. When the siding is off, look for water damage and repair any damage as necessary. Have a siding contractor tell you what it will cost."

Depending on my temperament at the time I might add........

"If anyone disagrees with this assessment, have them read the installation instructions that come with the siding, or go to http://www.blah.blah.blah and read up on it."

I get very little back talk, and rarely have to prove my statements; most realtors have figured out I know more than they do. I'd only use the link if someone was blowing smoke @ me.

I'm always looking to be the most adequate with fewer words so thanks for the suggestions. I'll make a few changes.

I will say that I've not been around long enough to assume that people realize I know more than they do.

All I get from builders is "county code inspector approved it" as they tell the client that its normal for home inspectors to be wrong about code.

In some cases, I find that a more descriptive comment results in fewer challenges.

There is no secondary moisture barrier beneath the vinyl siding at *** Current building code requires...

I'd replace 'Current building code requires' with something suggestive unless you're an AHJ in your area. HI's cannot ascertain compliance or non-compliance.

Marc

That's when you link to the mfg. website, tell folks the guy is wrong, and indicate it's the buyer's choice to accept something all reference material says is wrong.

That leads to discussion, when you can then wow the crowd with your accumulated knowledge.

I find that keeping things short and to the point, without the excessive verbiage shaves seconds that turn into minutes that saves me hours each day.

Few read the stuff, fewer yet understand it, and adding more words doesn't get you much. Quick, concise explanations backed up with a graphic library is way better than paragraphs of stuff few comprehend.

It is for me, anyway.

On occasion, I've even said things like "There's no moisture barrier under the siding; water will get into the house and cause mold growth or damage. Fixing it means taking it all apart and reinstalling everything properly. That's expensive, have a contractor tell you what it'll cost to fix."

More importantly, link to the mfg. and show them a picture. Folks understand pictures.

I've seen people read paragraphs of well structured commentary, but it slides by them. They're all lathered up in the buying process, the realtor is undoubtedly blathering idiocy at them, and most folks comprehension suffers as a result. Keep it really simple.

There is no secondary moisture barrier beneath the vinyl siding at *** Current building code requires...

I'd replace 'Current building code requires' with something suggestive unless you're an AHJ in your area. HI's cannot ascertain compliance or non-compliance.

Marc

I use these opportunities to educate folks to the fact of mfg's. specifications being "the code". Mfg's. stuff trumps code.

Folks are amazed at this. I've found attorney's that don't know this.

Keep the muni out of it. You don't need to go there.

I think HI's need to have more creative outlets. They get all hung up on their writing like it's a personal artistic achievement. It is, kinda, but not much.

Just write something simple. You don't have to tell them to use competent licensed people either. Tell them to get some bids and then .pdf them to you for review; you can tell in a few seconds if the guy has a brain or not. You help your client, you give them something to work with, and you avoid all those boilerplate-ish reports that numb people to what they should be thinking about.

People need useful advice, not a lot of HI boilerplate.

There's an old idea that says if you can't explain something in a way that makes it both plain and simple, then you probably don't understand it well enough yourself.

I think Kurt's dead-on. Clear writing is very, very difficult. Longer sentences and longer paragraphs typically cloud things up, not make them clearer.

I've gotten on this more and more after getting into the screwed up building repair business. I see the boilerplate on the screwed up building, and owners resulting misperception of the seriousness of the issues.

I can't speak for any other market, but folks around here don't understand much of any technical stuff and would prefer to not have to think about it at all. They get lost in boilerplate. Easily.