TX Court of Appeals Finds in Favor of Inspector

Nolan Kienitz

I was just chatting with another TX inspector about this and without seeing the report, not having been there, knowing more particulars it is not wise to "opine" about precisely what the inspector did or did not do OR should have done.

The 'win' (if it can be called such) are the comments about the appeals court stating the DTPA act is not a valid path for such a suit.

I understand.

There's a lot going on there; without seeing the report, who knows?

I'm also curious how anyone can make a judgment as to how long water stains have been present; the second guy in was making a lot of comments that would be hard to prove.

Lots of opinions.

I understand.

There's a lot going on there; without seeing the report, who knows?

I'm also curious how anyone can make a judgment as to how long water stains have been present; the second guy in was making a lot of comments that would be hard to prove.

Lots of opinions.

The 'more than 1 year' comment by the 2nd inspector is very subjective and like Kurt says, it would be hard to prove.

It comes down to an inspector being caught between the State minimum requirements and a more discerning inspector that came along later. There's always an inspector who knows more or discerns more, than you, regardless of how much you know. TIJ 101.

My defense against this happening to me is to make certain that the client is happy. When they're happy, the lid stays on and the contents don't go under a magnifying glass. One thing that seems to make them happy is to be thorough to the nth degree. Don't miss it.

Marc

Well, it's going to go back to a new trial where the plaintiff sues under a different legal theory - probably negligence.

Seems like suing him under the DTP was a poor call on the part of the plaintiff's lawyer.

I don't know about that part of Texas, but across large parts of the American West there are times of year when a small bit of deduction could tell you if a roof leak stain were more than 12 months old.

I suppose.....but, you're the sort of person that could deduce it correctly due to your experience.

I don't think there's any credible reference that would indicate how long a stain was present. IOW, it's a highly personal analysis.

I agree that you can't look at a stain and proclaim how old it is just by its appearance -- the same goes for rot, by the way.

I'm talking about weather patterns. We don't get significant rain from June to October, sometimes November. This particular year, with the exception of a few days in November, we haven't had significant rain in 8 months. If I inspected a house tomorrow and saw water stains on the underside of the sheathing I could probably deduce that they were at least 8 months old.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know the specifics of the case but most people don't realize how mold can be toxic and create damage beyond belief. The housing market is saturated with foreclosure and there's not a single person assigned by the title holder to ensure these properties aren't protected against water damage be it a broken water pipe or a leaky roof. The housing market isn't going to be in a slump forever and these homes will soon be occupied. The individuals who hire an home inspector who views mold as an inconvenience as opposed to a health hazard will give the new home owner a false sense of security and the home owner will suffer long term health effects due to the home inspectors ill conceived belief mold is everywhere therefore it can't be hazardous. Mold is a toxic it can cause health issues and if not addressed immediatly it can even cause death. Please take the time to educate yourself on the effects of mold exposure and Sick Building Syndrome (SBS)

Read the other day somewhere how a school closed its doors, removed all products containing peanut products from its pantry, prohibited students and employees from having peanut-containing snacks on their persons and spent thousands scrubbing down every surface - all because there was one student allergic to peanuts who attends that school.

That's insane. Why isn't the student on meds and carrying an eppy pen? Should I expect a grocery store to not sell strawberries or rhubarb or rhubarb pies because the combination of the two could kill me? Should I sue grocery stores where these products are sold if they don't take them off the shelves? I wonder if that kid has ever gone into a grocery store where peanuts are sitting there open in bins with a scoop and folks scoop their own; and, if so, has the kid ever suffered because of that?

How is it that folks in undeveloped countries with their ignorance of mold and all of these allergies seem to be able to grow their populations five or six times faster than we can grow ours when we supposedly are the ones with all of the education and great living conditions? Why aren't people in the third world dying off faster than they are being born since they are more exposed to these things than we are? Why aren't the majority of leading doctors, surgeons, environmental hygiene professionals and armies of lawyers on the boob tube every day warning us that we're all about to be consumed by the mold demon? Answer: No such demon exists.

As a society we've grown soft and neurotic. I just wish everyone in this country would stop listening to every bogeyman story and looking for some excuse to sue everyone else and just take responsibility for their own lives and their own environment and stop running around blathering like chicken little.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike