tubs and fireplaces

jaysladder

OK, I have to ask, why do you want a fireplace in the bathroom? Regardless of all the issues that could be involved with such a location, I'll focus on one issue....Slip and falls in the bath room could be re-written if you slipped then fell on a fireplace.

Now mind ya of his, its your money and you can do with it as ya please. I have never saw a bathroom with a fireplace ever in my life.

I've seen several of those two sided fireplaces around here installed in the wall between the master bedroom and the master bathroom with the fireplace right at the end of the soaker tub.

While the ones I've seen had the flame elevated above the level of the tub, I'd suggest that your best source of information is to contact the manufacturer directly and ask them.

I always thought the problem was that you could not draw combustion from a bathroom or a bedroom not that you could not have a gas appliance in those rooms.

Many fireplaces and decorative gas appliances have vents to draw combustion air from outside. Also un-vented gas logs are not allowed in bathrooms and bedrooms.

As far as the clearance from the bathtub I don't think it's addressed in the code and I doubt it's covered in any installation manual.

These are typically direct-vent gas appliances so the code prohibition re. combustion air doesn't apply to them. They are installedi only in master baths so that children and guests don't use them. The glass used is safety glass and the electrics underneath are GFCI protected. Gas fireplaces are like gas stoves - they don't require a hearth in front. I see a couple of dozen a year in new construction.

Everything the O.P. needs to know is in the installation manual for the fireplace. The manufacturers know that folks put these at the head of tubs and they address it in their manuals.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

OK, I have to ask, why do you want a fireplace in the bathroom? Regardless of all the issues that could be involved with such a location, I'll focus on one issue....Slip and falls in the bath room could be re-written if you slipped then fell on a fireplace.

Now mind ya of his, its your money and you can do with it as ya please. I have never saw a bathroom with a fireplace ever in my life.

I'm speculating you haven't been around much - I've been around plenty of them - normally in a master bedroom / bath combination.

Whew!