What say you

plummen

On an other forum Ive been known to hang out on somebody else asked about what I personally would consider a hack job,I was wondering what you guys would think.

The guys wife apparently makes/prints t-shirts in their garage and needs to hook up some sort of dryer for the ink on the shirts.

Problem being the panel is on other end of garage,roughly 30' and change from location the machine is going and requires a 30a circuit.

The guy doesnt have any 10g wire and has no money/desire to buy any apparently.

He wants to run a chunk of 8/2 as far as he can stretch it then mount a junction box and take the 10/2 wg cord from the dryer and chop the end off and just wire nut the mess together inside the junction box.

Does anybody else have an issue with this?

I talked to an electrical inspector today about it,he thought it was funny and said he hopes the guy has good insurance.

The inspector was in a hurry so I didnt ask him about a specific code referance,so what do you guys think about this and what referance would you give other than an obvious workmanship flag? [:-paperba

Long ago a friend who was a retired electrical engineer (worked at Oak Ridge, TN nuclear facility when they used slide rules and not computers) told me he built his little shack in Gautier, MS and wired circuits with conductors only sized to meet demand at each location. He claimed the utility accused him of meter tampering because his bills were so low.

On an other forum Ive been known to hang out on somebody else asked about what I personally would consider a hack job,I was wondering what you guys would think.

The guys wife apparently makes/prints t-shirts in their garage and needs to hook up some sort of dryer for the ink on the shirts.

Problem being the panel is on other end of garage,roughly 30' and change from location the machine is going and requires a 30a circuit.

The guy doesnt have any 10g wire and has no money/desire to buy any apparently.

He wants to run a chunk of 8/2 as far as he can stretch it then mount a junction box and take the 10/2 wg cord from the dryer and chop the end off and just wire nut the mess together inside the junction box.

Does anybody else have an issue with this?

I talked to an electrical inspector today about it,he thought it was funny and said he hopes the guy has good insurance.

The inspector was in a hurry so I didnt ask him about a specific code referance,so what do you guys think about this and what referance would you give other than an obvious workmanship flag? [:-paperba

It would make more sense to me if he were to retain the plug on the cord and install a matching receptacle at the end of his run of #8.

That said, he should also consider the limitations of 400.8:

400.8 Uses Not Permitted. Unless specifically permitted in 400.7, flexible cords and cables shall not be used for the following:

(1) As a substitute for the fixed wiring of a structure

(2) Where run through holes in walls, structural ceilings, suspended ceilings, dropped ceilings, or floors

(3) Where run through doorways, windows, or similar openings

(4) Where attached to building surfaces

Exception to (4): Flexible cord and cable shall be permitted to be attached to building surfaces in accordance with the provisions of 368. 56(B)

(5) Where concealed by walls, floors, or ceilings or located above suspended or dropped ceilings

(6) Where installed in raceways, except as otherwise permitted in this Code

(7) Where subject to physical damage

I say screen printing materials are extremely flammable, and his wiring method has excellent ignition potential.

Do you really see this splice in a junction box any more of a danger than any other junction box? I don't think the few T shirt printers I have seen have been wired anywhere close to a Classified location wiring method.

Long ago a friend who was a retired electrical engineer (worked at Oak Ridge, TN nuclear facility when they used slide rules and not computers) told me he built his little shack in Gautier, MS and wired circuits with conductors only sized to meet demand at each location. He claimed the utility accused him of meter tampering because his bills were so low.

And what difference would that make? There is little line loss in a residential structure.

IMHO, the wiring would be safe and no different though not the way I would do it. Why would a latex machine and dryer be flammable?