Response from seller part 2.

Robert Jones

The roof is approximately 5 years old and I called out the fact that they used architectural shingles on the ridge(that were flipping up of course) rather than three tab or ridge cap shingles. Here was the response to the buyer.

"4. Regular shingles are commonly cut and installed on the ridge. The inspector himself estimates AT LEAST 10 more years of life left on the roof. The shingles are either 30 or 40 year shingles. Therefore, these shingles on the ridge have been doing the job they were installed to do for a long time, through many high winds and not one has blown off. In fact, the asphalt strip on the back, meant to melt down and adhere one shingle to the next has done just that, and pulling them off now may damage the rest of the roof they are adhered to. These shingles are not a problem. The inspector says the roof is watertight, Best to leave well enough alone."

Click to Enlarge
tn_2012327124331_IMGP8309%20(Medium).jpg

63.48?KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2012327124342_IMGP8310%20(Medium).jpg

70.7?KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2012328174539_IMGP8313%20(Medium).jpg

76.62 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2012328174548_IMGP8314%20(Medium).jpg

79.08 KB

You are right to call it out but I'd accept that response if they looked OK. They are not easy to bend at severe angles and I'd expect to see what Marc shared on a steep roof. What was the slope of the roof?

If a problem does develope there's nothing easier to repair than the hip and ridge.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201232783031_024.jpg

93.62?KB

Maybe it's a regional-specific issue, perhaps high wind areas.

This isn't the best picture but it shows de-lamination of two adjacent ridge shingles.

Marc

Yes, the upper lamination peels back and looks stupid.

It has no effect on the performance of the roof because the lower lamination stays put.

Wait a minute. I know I've seen at least one installation manual, and if I'm remembering it right, seen it written on the bundle packaging, that those were not to to be used for ridge caps because of that reason. They weren't designed to be bent like that and they will delaminate and fail. Sorry, I don't remember who's they were.

Wait a minute. I know I've seen at least one installation manual, and if I'm remembering it right, seen it written on the bundle packaging, that those were not to to be used for ridge caps because of that reason. They weren't designed to be bent like that and they will delaminate and fail. Sorry, I don't remember who's they were.

Yes, they all say that. It's not a correct installation. But the "failure" has to do with delamination of the applied sections, not the base layer.

I'm not saying this is right. It's wrong. I'm saying that I've never seen it cause a problem in the performance of the roof.

Yes, they all say that. It's not a correct installation. But the "failure" has to do with delamination of the applied sections, not the base layer.

I'm not saying this is right. It's wrong. I'm saying that I've never seen it cause a problem in the performance of the roof.

Let's just say Robert was not impressed with the performance put on by the roofer and his flaky ridge cap. [:)]

Let's just say Robert was not impressed with the performance put on by the roofer and his flaky ridge cap.

Let's just say, they're not installed per the manufacturer's recommendation. End of story. Change them.

The homeowner is wrong, and there's a much better chance of the wind tearing the whole piece when they're like that.

Let's just say Robert was not impressed with the performance put on by the roofer and his flaky ridge cap.

Let's just say, they're not installed per the manufacturer's recommendation. End of story. Change them.

The homeowner is wrong, and there's a much better chance of the wind tearing the whole piece when they're like that.

Good point. The de-lamination increases the vulnerability of the entire shingle not just the upper lamination.

Marc

Wow, this is another of those things that probably wouldn't impress upon me. A single shingle on a ridge?

Yes, it's wrong, for want of a nail the kingdom was lost, etc., etc.,...... but bejeezus....

Is there context in this gig? Tear it all off?!?

If I'm hired to supervise a $35,000 roof install with highest quality standards, then I'm for sure pointing it out.

If I'm looking @ a bungalow on the NW side and it's got a new cheap roof, I'm telling folks to nail down the loose shingle and put a dab of caulk on it.

Kurt,

I realize there are times when we need to pick our battles and sometimes something's not quite right, but you let it slide.

I guess I just see it like anything else we would normally call out in a case of not installing per manufactures specs. Maybe even more so in this case, because Robert is being challenged on a call he correctly made.

As far as replacing them goes, hell yes and too bad for the roofer who installed them. They should've known better. They claim to be professional roofers.

I'm betting the guy who hired Robert, feels the proper installation of the cheap roof on the home he's about to buy, is just as important to him as the $35k roof down the street is to that person.

Thanks for the replies and Gary is right on the money with this one. It wasn't just the one shingle flipping, there were numerous at different locations along that roof. My client was a young lady buying her first home and I explained to her that while they haven't blown off yet, there is a good possibility that they will in the future. First time buyers typically have no clue of repair cost and I tend to really hand hold them more than I would a client that is buying their third home for example. I have added a couple more pics I found.

On a side note. This particular buyer is using a city down payment program that sends out their own inspector. On the last house I inspected for this client, they called out just about everything on my report and the seller refused to do the work so the deal was "killed". The home's that my client are looking at are in the 70-80k price range. That is on the low end in our market to say the least. That and they are typically in the 80-90 year old range. Not a good combination for the buyer and that assistance program to say the least.

Being challenged on a call by a roofer is a delight. I can write my report, then I can have the sport of shining a spotlight on a moron. I'd never be cruel to a stupid animal, but I kind of enjoy it with idiot roofers (and masons, plumbers.....).

If it's a lot of loose ridge caps, ok, but that wasn't cited in the OP. It was the single note of the wrong ridge material, which I've installed in the exact manner dozens of times in the (long) past when my boss failed to order enough ridge caps. They work fine if they're fastened satisfactorily.

I've never seen it cause a problem, so would be unlikely to comment beyond simple repair recommendations. Others will do what they think is right.

• 2 weeks later...