Overfull panel

Mark P

Why didn't they just say "20 breakers maximum."

Well, then you would have some arguing that the 240 vac breaker for the range is just a single breaker. Johnny Homeowner buys and installs a "single" breaker, no matter how many poles it might have. The number of poles may still be a bit confusing, but perhaps it will at least get Bubba to ask questions.

Slight thread drift. I just discovered that the 42 circuit/pole max for panels has been largely removed with the 2008 NEC. 408.35 is no longer there.

See http://static.schneider-electric.us/doc ... DB0701.pdf

It would be interesting to have the opp to pop one of those breakers to see if the bus has a rejection feature and if so whether the breaker had been modified; and if there is a rejection feature and the breaker wasn't modified, find out what type breaker is being used.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

"20 poles maximum" is printed on the label. It's too bad all panelboards don't contain that info.

I'd like to see the transform that produces 20 poles of power.

Because some breakers might be 2 pole breakers that take up the space of 2 poles.

I call a 2 pole breaker a 'breaker', not 2 breakers.

Marc

Well, then you would have some arguing that the 240 vac breaker for the range is just a single breaker. Johnny Homeowner buys and installs a "single" breaker, no matter how many poles it might have. The number of poles may still be a bit confusing, but perhaps it will at least get Bubba to ask questions.

But the words "20 poles maximum" do not restrict what was done here. Each tandem breaker still has a single connection to a single pole. The installation in the pictures still has only 20 "poles" (to use their bizarre term for each position on the bus bar).

"20 poles maximum" is printed on the label. It's too bad all panelboards don't contain that info.

Because some breakers might be 2 pole breakers that take up the space of 2 poles.

Marc

Then what do you call two breakers that take up a single pole?

The terminology is both wrong (because these panels only have two "poles") and confusing.

Marc

Then what do you call two breakers that take up a single pole?

The terminology is both wrong (because these panels only have two "poles") and confusing.

Duplex breaker.

I agree there is a problem with the terminology. Don't newer panels specify 'maximum circuits' instead of 'maximum poles'?

Marc

The twin breakers installed in the GE, Goverment Electric panel are not GE, & I doubt they are UL classified to be used in one. GE twin breakers are peculiar to GE & they will not fit a non-GE manufactured panel.

Good point. Those are Siemen's breakers - almost certainly not classified for use with GE.