Overhang

Darren

Certainteed Shingle Applicator's Manual, 9th edition, page 93, Chapter 10 - Three-Tab Shingles:

Make sure there is 1/2" left overhanging both rake and eaves if drip edge is being used. If you are not using drip edge, make the overhand 3/4".

Marc

NAHB Residential Construction Performance Guidelines states 3/4-inch. Most manufacturer's instructions I see specify no greater than 3/4 inch beyond support.

I think your answer is 3/4 inch.

Not to get off-topic, but around here maybe - maybe - one roofer in a thousand installs drip edge at the eaves and it's normal to find the roof extending an inch to an inch and a half at the rake and anything from about an inch to three inches at the eaves.

This is a typical "drip edge" here. How would you like to be the poor sap trying to clean that gutter without damaging that bottom course?

201256124752_205_0430_00001.jpg"

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

At least it's a straight edge. I wouldn't make a big deal about it.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201256122048_roof1.jpg

42.16?KB

I'd at least make it a small deal. Under the weight of ice & snow, those will probably bend over and at least crack.

I did say trim the edge in my pic. I was talking about Darren's overhang.

Snap a chalkline. Use an old fine tooth Skilsaw blade, running backwards. Done.