Online Vs. Offline

Online storage and backup makes sense for a lot of reasons. I don't have complete faith in that yet, but that's just me.

Online software? might work well for you in LA, but I would not want to be dependent on that. I might want to work on my laptop away from my office. Can't find WiFi everywhere I go. We have dead zones here where you can't even use a cellphone, believe it or not.

I think Home Gauge is an online based system that you can also go standalone.

I switched to Home Inspector Pro earlier this year and use their cloud service and mobile iPad app. I basically enter the problems or anything noteworthy in my iPad which sits in the kitchen and then it uploads to the cloud. I then download to my desktop where I add pictures, additional comments and then I send it to my client.

I worked on a report this AM in a McDonalds parking lot while waisting time between my afternoon appointment. All McDonalds and Startbucks have free WiFi so it is always easy to find WiFi service.

John, That is true, But technology has evolved and now you can still update and store data without the need to have an active connection http://www.html5rocks.com/en/features/storage it will sync the changes you've made once you get to a location where it find some connection.

Scott, Yeah that's probably one of the best features Online Software has to offer.

No Scott, it's not.

HomeGauge software resides on my computer where I can work on my reports anywhere with or without wireless. When the report is done, THEN it's uploaded to the file servers for client retrieval.

They've had the sync between devices feature (like HIP is now doing) for quite some time.

But, neither of the programs are true cloud computing (where you're software is in the cloud also).

Cloud computing is great if you've ALWAYS got internet access. For those many that don't, the software needs to be on our computer.

Report Host or something like that has the software on the internet. Did a sample, didn't care for it.

I'm sticking with HomeGauge.

-

Why is that? Now days everything is going towards online cloud computing and storage. There is no need to download and install anything, accessing the content from anywhere using any kind of device or platform is far easier.

Smells like a vender.

Online software is just another way to milk the cow.

Marc

I'm new to the whole Home Inspection and was wondering if the anyone uses an Online Report Editing Software rather then a desktop application?

Thanks.

Vincent, are you in the business of selling an online report editing service or program or are you an inspector who's interested in using such a program?

Marc, It would've been true if i had something to sell.

Jim,

I'm in the software development business, But i don't have or offer an online report editor or program. Right now i'm just looking into the whole inspection process (Not just home inspection but others as well), Market, User Preferences, Pricing etc.. Really just want to hear how people are using this on a daily basis rather than try and sell something.

Vincent:

When I first started I used Inspection Report Creator as it was a total online report software option. I later switched to Home Gauge as the total package was more to my liking. When it comes to software for your reports, you just need to take the different options available for a test drive and go what is right for you.

O

No Scott, it's not.

HomeGauge software resides on my computer where I can work on my reports anywhere with or without wireless. When the report is done, THEN it's uploaded to the file servers for client retrieval.

They've had the sync between devices feature (like HIP is now doing) for quite some time.

But, neither of the programs are true cloud computing (where you're software is in the cloud also).

Cloud computing is great if you've ALWAYS got internet access. For those many that don't, the software needs to be on our computer.

Report Host or something like that has the software on the internet. Did a sample, didn't care for it.

I'm sticking with HomeGauge.

-

Thanks Erby, I was not quite sure. That is good to know.

Marc, It would've been true if i had something to sell.

Ok Vincent, I take it back. I've not bought into it before so perhaps I'm not the most qualified to judge it but I do take issue with it in regard to protecting the confidentiality of my reports. I also don't like functionality being impaired by connectivity. Basically, it takes me clear out of my comfort zone.

Marc

Marc, Thank, HG creates the PDF once it's done, Not adobe. Correct? How do you guys include images and other media to the report? You take pictures onsite then added it when you get back to the office/home?

Thanks again for the information, Much appreciated.

The HI software I use integrates photos into the content as I specify. It does have pdf print capability but I had problems with file sizes too large to Email. Instead, I route it directly to Adobe which also produces the pdf package. I can do 75 photos, 640 X 480 pixels, with abundant content and still well under 2 MB.

I'm the kind that doesn't mind splurging on software.

It's not HG.

Marc

Marc, Thank, HG creates the PDF once it's done, Not adobe. Correct? How do you guys include images and other media to the report? You take pictures onsite then added it when you get back to the office/home?

Thanks again for the information, Much appreciated.

The HI software I use integrates photos into the content as I specify. It does have pdf print capability but I had problems with file sizes too large to Email. Instead, I route it directly to Adobe which also produces the pdf package. I can do 75 photos, 640 X 480 pixels, with abundant content and still well under 2 MB.

I'm the kind that doesn't mind splurging on software.

It's not HG.

Marc

That's impressive, 2 MB for all of that is really good. Depends on the quality of the images that can make the file size smaller but never heard of 75 images with content and under 2MB.

Do you use the same report template for all inspections? Or you create a new template for every inspection separately?

What HI software do you normally use? If i might ask.

Do you use the same report template for all inspections? Or you create a new template for every inspection separately?

What HI software do you normally use? If i might ask.

There are layout and font specs that are consistent with all my HI reports but the template is fluidic. It's modified as the report develops and follows the house and it's condition. The range of templates isn't really all that much though for most of my HI reports.

Marc