Electrical switch question

Jer

Hi Guys

Kind of a question that is related to my other problem but it might be a useful standalone question

I thought the previous homeowner was using electrical tape to tape wires together but it appears when cutting away the tape that he did use the nuts but also taped them over? Is that common?

Also when installing a new switch is it common to put a piece of electrical tape over the sides covering the wiring terminals? maybe to prevent anything rubbing against it?

As pointed out in another post, taping wire nuts is usually done in a situation that encounters excessive vibration, but some sparkys do it habitually.

As far as taping around the switch, this is usually a good idea when the box is mounted with 'drywall' hangers because the ears of the hangers fold over inside the box. Plastic box, no problem (although I've never seen one mounted this way); a metal box could short if the hangers flexed back and touched the hot lead screw (box shifting occurs overtime with this mounting method).

As a old time sparky having worked for years at a University, it was common pratice to wrap the wire nuts and the outlets in this way we could handle them when reinstalling the outlets and some of the younger fellows would'nt get a suprise when they pulled the outlet out of the box. and this happens more often than you would think. just a safety measure on our part.

It's another indication of DIY wiring. If wire nuts (marrettes) are good, then tape will make them better, and while we're at it, tape on these exposed screws will make them better too. It demonstrates a lack of skill, knowledge, or both.

Ive still have an electrical contractors license,and yes I do wrap switches and plugs with super 33 tape.

And I also wrap tape around wire nuts on certain jobs where theyre exposed to excessive vibration like around machinery,or im worried about some maintenance man playing around with stuff they shouldn't be.

Does that make me a novice after 30 years in the trades,If so what is your skill classification/license in the electrical trade?[:-yawn]

Since you should not be working on energized equipment there is no need to have take wrapped around a device so it can be safely removed or installed in the box.

A properly installed wire nut should not need to to help keep it on. It tape is needed someone needs to learn how to install a wire nut.

Never worked on anything hot before?[;)]