Metal Roof Inspection

Mike Lamb

Dude! That's the exact roof that came with Lustron all-steel homes.

Looking at the proportions, that house just might be a Lustron. I think there were only about 2500 made. The walls covered with 2x2 panels - the same enameled steel as the old washing machines.

If'n it is one, tell your buyers they have to hang pictures and curtains with magnets.

Thanks, Lustron it is.

I wonder if it still has the original Thor combo dish/clothes washer in the kitchen.

From Wicki.. "Currently Lombard, Illinois in Dupage county has the most Lustron houses at 129." and that is where I am headed. Should be fun.

Thanks, Lustron it is.

I wonder if it still has the original Thor combo dish/clothes washer in the kitchen.

From Wicki.. "Currently Lombard, Illinois in Dupage county has the most Lustron houses at 129." and that is where I am headed. Should be fun.

Sorry, seems that the Thor, along with many other original details, has gone. See http://www.lustronpreservation.org/loun ... le?id=2091

I used to live in one, long time ago. They rust (in the walls) and they're cold in winter/no good way to insulate them.

What, you wouldn't sprayfoam it?

No foam back then; foam would've been good. Those suckers condense moisture like an ice machine; moldy drywall, moldier insulation, and rusty "studs"....that's what I remember.

But, they're really cool looking. Wildly over-romanticized mean little small space steel boxes that sweat like a stevedore with a hangover, but cool looking.