6 wires in a Wire Nut?

resqman

30 yr old. Home. Recent 100K renov. All the bathroom and kitchen circuits were joined with a single wire nut to a pigtail so they could all use a single GFCI breaker. Panel is full.

Can anyone tell from looking at the pic if 6 wires is ok with a single wirenut? I am thinking probably not. Picture may show 5 but I counted 5 in and 1 out while on site.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2013612223652_105.jpg

60.73 KB

Well, since no one else has said it, I will. I didn't even look at the picture, but putting all of the kitchen and bathroom circuits on one breaker is just stupid, regardless of whether or not the particular wire nut used is designed for that many wires. I think adding a sub panel would be a good idea given the scenario you outlined where there aren't available slots.

But then again, that wasn't your question, was it?

Well, since no one else has said it, I will. I didn't even look at the picture, but putting all of the kitchen and bathroom circuits on one breaker is just stupid, regardless of whether or not the particular wire nut used is designed for that many wires. I think adding a sub panel would be a good idea given the scenario you outlined where there aren't available slots.

But then again, that wasn't your question, was it?

I agree. Renov was only 100K. You think the electrician would have somehow got a bit of the 100K to add a subpanel. Nope went to a bunch of carrera marble for countertops and shiny appliances in the kitchen.

I agree with Marc, red wire nuts just don't take 6 wires. Immediate action required - add a few pigtails and maybe another j-box.

On having all the GFCI recepts on one circuit:

I would note in the report that kitchens and baths are required, in new construction, to have separate dedicated feeds. They do not have separate feeds in this house, but this does not represent a life-safety issue that requires immediate action. It only represents likely nuisance tripping in the future such as when brewing coffee and drying your hair. I would recommend they add a separate circuit - if desired - but with no required cost.

the pigtail has to be of right size to accept the load of all them wires...

Not excusing what else is going on there, but the pigtail only has to be sized to the breaker, not the total possible load.

I stand corected. Amps will vary from each wires but the breaker will trip once the maximum combined amp. is reached. Thank you.