Not for those with weak stomachs

Wayne Wildermuth

Here is a few pics for ya. One is a nice and warm spot for the winter...or should I say HOT spot for the winter.

The others, explain to me why the middle fuse (pipe) is there, what is the objective?

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif Breakermouse.JPG

206.01 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif fuse1.jpg

62.17 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif fuse2.jpg

50.79 KB

Maybe they just didn't want to fuse the neutral, but still needed to connect the two runs of wire up. Was that 240v single phase? The neutrals aren't fused in breaker panels anyway.

Brian G.

...So the Swiss Wire Says, "Hey I'm Not Neutral, I'm A Grounded Conductor!" [:-slaphap[:P][:-tong2][;)]

Originally posted by Wayne Wildermuth

Here is a few pics for ya. One is a nice and warm spot for the winter...or should I say HOT spot for the winter.

Great picture. It's a good one to show people when they question the need to cap open knockouts. Try to spring it on them just as they're taking a bite of food.

The others, explain to me why the middle fuse (pipe) is there, what is the objective?

I think it's there in an attempt to comply with 240.22, the section that says not to fuse neutrals.

As I see the picture, you've got a very old three-pole fused disconnect switch. It's feeding a 120/240 volt circuit -- most likely a range. The middle (white) wire is the neutral in that circuit and it's not allowed to be fused. So someone stuck the section of copper tubing in there so that there wouldn't be a risk of the fuse blowing and leaving an open neutral.

The problem is that the next homeowner may not understand this. He might just look at this and think that it's wrong then stick a fuse back in there.

I'd say that this disconnect would be better off if someone disconnected the neutral wires from the lugs and jumpered across them.

I'd also check the fuse sizes against the range's (or whatever it is) requirements.

- Jim Katen, Oregon